Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon 2B A6 Owner needs opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Soon 2B A6 Owner needs opinion

Greetings all!

I have owned BMW's and Volvo's my entire life....

My trusty volvo mechanic got his hands on a 1995 A6 w/ 103k miles on it... A++ Ext/Interion and seems to run and drive great.....

He is asking 4k for the car (I have known and trusted the man for 20yrs)

A few problems exsist...

Central Locking doesnt work, but the car seems to have a after-market alarm on it
Breaks are a tad mushy for my taste

Any opinions on the A6 in general or the above would be much appreciated, as this will be the wifes car. The carfax came back clean, and it was serviced locally...

I know zippo about Audi's and need help... Any BMW questions/answers gladly exchanged!

Thx in advance

Scott

Old 01-02-2007, 05:07 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Soon 2B A6 Owner needs opinion

eww 95 audis have the really old body style, its gonna look ugly

and if u owned bmws ur whole life, why would u settle for a 95 audi a6 with 100 k miles

i suggest something more fresh, just my 2 cents

Old 01-02-2007, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Well,

The wife needs a cheap car for beating around... She isnt going to drive my SuperCharged 540i!!!!

She does like the body style tho.... For 4 grand, isnt it a decent deal?

Scott

Old 01-02-2007, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear

Without extensive maintenance records I would not touch the car with that many miles on it. You'll spend another 4k really fast and by that time could have bought something newer. Its the same story as the BMW's...What kind of supercharger do you have on your 540i? Do they make one for an A6 4.2?

Old 01-02-2007, 05:45 PM
3rd Gear

If you trust the mechanic and he thinks the car is in good shape, I think you should be ok. As long as it's been serviced and you like it, go for it. Since you own a BMW, you should already know the maintenance issues with this type of vehicle. It's a love / hate relationship but I think you will love the car. I'm an A6'r, so you won't get much negative input from me...

Good luck and enjoy the new ride!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

Just got back from a inspection at my shop (audi guy)

What they found was (and this is to make the car perfect)

Replace Serpintine Belt
Rear Wheel Bearings
1 Axel Shaft CV Boot
Small oil leak from Upper Engine Gasket
Power Lock Motor (vacume controller) needs replacing (can get used)
And Misc stuff...

Kinda of what I expected, butcould cost a few hundred to repair...

Thoughts?

Old 01-02-2007, 09:45 PM
3rd Gear

Sounds like a good car to me. 4k does not buy you a lot of car. Being able to get a car in good working order, a car she likes, is safe and a car you can see yourself working on for 4k is not bad. I have to admit I know NOTHING about the pre C5 body style A6's. If you can do most of the work yourself, then the serp belt should be no big deal, rear wheel bearing should be a piece of cake, the CV boot is dependent on what you want to do. Will you replace just the boot or the whole half shaft? Let the oil just leak.. Learn to unlock the car with the key and with your hands reaching around the car to unlock the others.

I believe if you are unable to fix your own car, you should not own an out of warrenty european car, well of course unless you have too much money. My recently traded in Volvo had 317k miles on it when I traded it in. Our BMW has 256k miles on it. Other than a transmission and engine in the Volvo, they have been great cars. Now of course we have had to replace clutches, exhaust systems, suspension parts and so forth, but if you can maintain your own car they are cheap to own. When we still had the Volvo, it cost us on average $97.00 dollars a month to maintain the Volvo and the BMW combinded over a 3 year period. Far cheaper than a car payment.