Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket advice

Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Speeding ticket advice

Hi guys,

I am asking her on behalf of my wife. We were pulled over by a state trooper for 80 in a 55 tonight. the officer used his car to pace us over 0.8 miles and timed us 0.3 of those. Any know if this is worth challenging

She is disabled and needs her car as she can not walk very far and the points are the big worry not the money.

Our reticence in taking it to caught is that she told the officer that she was going to see her brother who was in the hospital, which was not true and I dont know if that would make this even worse.

Anyone know of anything we could ask for to help us get the points reduced or removed? She was not given the option of points school at the time is that something that we could request with or without going to Cort?

Also I noticed that the calibration date for the equipment used was 01/28/09 anyone know how often these have to be calibrated for them to be valid?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

That calibration date seems pretty recent. The best thing to do is talk to a traffic law lawyer, he may know somebody who can fix the ticket

Old 04-03-2009, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear

If her car is so important to her, then you would think she would not be going 80 in a 55 knowing the consequences of getting caught.

But talk with the traffic court and they might lower the ticket/points. I have found the traffic court people to be pretty reasonable over the years. Don't lie, don't try to pull a fast on over them, they are smart people who listen to people all day long try to get out of their tickets. Just tell them the truth and you will have far better odds than the last 20 guys telling them about the brother in the hospital.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:00 PM
3rd Gear

Don't just pay for it. Setup a hearing date and go to the court. There is a good chance that the cop may not even show up. If he does, then there is a good chance that the penalty may be lowered. Just be polite, don't antagonize the officer or the judge and take the stance that you will not do it again. You will never win arguing with an officer.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear

Get full disclosure and do not accept the first date for the hearing, choose your own.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by james0013
I am asking her on behalf of my wife. We were pulled over by a state trooper for 80 in a 55 tonight. the officer used his car to pace us over 0.8 miles and timed us 0.3 of those. Any know if this is worth challenging

She is disabled and needs her car as she can not walk very far and the points are the big worry not the money.
I was about to comment last night, but I wanted to wait and see what others think. It is a shock that you actually get advice on this...
Jeffla is the only one who hit the nail in the head.
I have nothing against disability behind the wheel. However, you would think that when one has a disability exhibits more responsibility with regard to obeying the traffic law, and keeps the car to a speed easier to manage in the event of a need for quick reactions or reflexes. As Jeffla said it, maybe your wife ought to know the consequences of speeding, especially when she depends on the car for mobility purposes.
Go to Court, let her RIGHTFULLY PAY for BREAKING THE LAW and learn a lesson. If she needs the car, then she needs to learn that driving is not a right, but a privelege. If her mobility and daily life "normality" depends on the car, then paying the ticket would teach her to appreciate more this privelege and become a responsible driver behind the wheel of no matter what kind of car, Audi or else.

In addition, there's some responsibility to be shared, because more than anything else this subject should rather pertain to "The Smoking Gun" show airing on TruTV.
- As a husband, you should be the one driving your disabled wife - who's mobility depends on the car. Why was she driving?
- As a husband, and as a passenger, you should be a good driving assistant to your wife, especially at night. If she wasn't alert enough to realize it, then you at least should have been able to see the cop starting to pace you. Two pairs of eyes see better than just one....even at night. Again, why was she driving at night, instead of you? Why weren't you able to see the patrol car?
- As a husband, you should temper your disabled wife's heavy foot on the pedal when she insists on driving. Why didn't you?
Originally Posted by james0013
Our reticence in taking it to caught ...
............ with or without going to Cort?
Of course when there's reticence involved some things don't go to or reach the Cortex, indeed.
Leaving aside the disability, take your responsibility share by the horns and pay the ticket. It would do you both a great favor.

Last edited by chefro; 04-03-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:12 PM
4th Gear

^
l
l
Agree

Sounds like its not the first time either.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:24 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry, I dare to disagree:

The man desperately asked for strait advice-aren't we all speeding when we can and have the courage?

Perhaps we need a forum section to handle the lecturing and moralizing.

What's next: condemn everybody with a car on credit for the current state of the affairs?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

Lol, the man ask for advise, not rather if you think he or his wife did something wrong or not.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:43 PM
3rd Gear

Well, it is ok to disagree. People have different opinions on certain topics, at a certain point in time.

The lesson to be learned I was refering to is about RESPONSIBILITY and ASSUMPTION of RISK, and not about morality. If everybody was MORAL, then probably this topic would have not existed.
As far as lecturing, my opinion wasn't intended as a lecture, but for the sake of "agreeing" let's say I was trying to lecture him.
Yes, the ADVICE of GOING TO COURT AND PAY for BREAKING the LAW under a deliberate assumption of risk and disregard for responsibility was masking the "lecture"...
How many times did you or do you lecture in this forum, nemohm? Is it ok for you to lecture but when others do it is a sacrilege?

Anyway, I shall not take it personally...

By the way, there are at least two forums already setup to handle issues such as this, that has nothing in common with repairs, DIY, or other topics concerning THE CAR - the A6 itself...

Last edited by chefro; 04-05-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speeding ticket advice