Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 Auto - gear selector - Problem - 2.5 V6 Tdi Quattro Avant

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 AM
1st Gear
Cool 2001 A6 Auto - gear selector - Problem - 2.5 V6 Tdi Quattro Avant

Ok ... So first post chapps ...

So i have had a little problem with the gear selector ..

1st i parked the car half way on a curb with both front wheels . put it into park . car rolled back off the kerb and i didn't think nothing of it ... came back to car later and stuck in park ... so all the brake peddle solenoids working correctly ect ... then i remembered it rolling back a little and knew it was to do with this. So being in a rush tried forcing it out of park in which i moved the gear lever but still in park ... out with the jack lifted the car, wheels turned and car came out of park ... happy days ...

Now the problem is i have managed to somehow put the gear lever out of sink with what gear it is in ... I.E in P want to select R .. Have to move it to D ... then want D have to move it back to 2 ... it is only out of sink in this direction (moving back ) so going from D to R moving lever forwards no problem ... i take it that forcing the lever has moved some sort of adjuster any help plus a tech drawing to tell me how to adjust this will be very much app ... thanks in advance Paul

Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Certified

One of 2 things probably happened. You either bent something like shift lever linkage or moved the adjustment.
You can see if adjusting will fix your problem.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 AM
1st Gear

thanks ....
had a great reply to my question and here it is

The selector uses a cable to control the transmission. The cable attaches to a lever on the left hand side cunningly hidden by the gearbox mount, just behind the CV joint. I'm guessing that you have either bent the lever or damaged the cable. I think there is a thread on the end of the cable so you can adjust it, but I don't think you will have changed that unless the thread has stripped. The lever is bolted to a splined shaft, so its extremely unlikely that is damaged, and the shaft goes through the multifunction switch which controls the TCU.

Its nigh on impossible to get to with everything in one piece. You'll need to remove the downpipe, then support the gearbox from underneath & remove the mount & heat shield. It'll have to be done from underneath obviously.

You can see the multifunction switch in this pic and just above it is the lever with the ball on the end for the cable to attach to:

(this is an FWD version, but yours is exactly the same except it has an output for the propshaft)

At the right hand side you can see two bosses where the cable bolts on, and above the multifunction switch you can also see one of the bosses that the mount is attached to.

Its not going to be a fun job