Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Controls 98-2000

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering Wheel Controls 98-2000

Hey, I was just wondering if i could install a steering wheel that has radio controls on it(OEM) into my 98' A6. I'm really shocked that so few of these cars have the steering wheel controls, even my brother's 95' BMW has them.

Basically i'm wondering if the wiring is in the steering column for the controlsor if id have to install them myself..

Also, do I have to get a new airbag or does it somehow fit in behind the airbag cover/switches.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2009, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

Well, I took the original off and found that the cable is there for the steering wheel controls so I'm just going to buy an airbag with them on it...it looks like it should be a straight "plug and play" I'll let you guys know how it went!

oh, btw has any one heard of an air bag going off when connecting/disconnecting. ive read that you should disconnect the battery before removing it, but if i did that it would throw off the radio and I dont have the code...what do you guys think?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 AM
3rd Gear

I think the wiring is different. You also have to get a different clock spring from what I hear.

Yeah, disconnecting battery is a good idea.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

Hey, hxgaser im just wondering what clock spring id have to replace. In the instrument cluster?

Just wondering before I spend $100 on a used controls airbag. I'm not looking to replace the steering wheel, just the airbag.

Earlier today I unscrewed the airbag (without unplugging it) to see if the wiring was there for the controls, and it was, just stuffed in there unused. Also the airbag I'm looking at on ebay, still has the clipped off end of the original control wiring in it. It looks identical to what I've got in my steering wheel...again, just want to be sure before I make that large of an investment. I've got a 98(c5) a6.

Thanks again!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear

I can't tell you about your car, but on my car, there is no extra wiring inside the steering wheel. If you have one danggling, then it may work. The clock spring that I am talking about is behind the steering wheel. It is also known as self-cancelling ring. Basically it make wiring connection between the steering column and the steering wheel.

When I looked for briefly about this subject sometime ago, I was given the idea that I needed a new clock spring. And only place that I was able to find a clock spring was from the stealers for about $250. There was no aftermarket clock spring with wiring for steering control available. But I only spent about a day looking for that stuff. If you are lucky, you don't need anything, and if you are somewhat lucky, then you can find an aftermarket or used clock spring for about $50.

I would sure love to have steering wheel control on mine as well.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

here are some pics:

the first one shows my steering wheel the loos plug is circled.(sorry its kinda bleached out, i took it w my phone)

the second one is of the one from ebay, notice the clipped wire circled, it looks the same as the unused wire in my wheel.

the third is a pic of the front of the ebay airbag, for reference.

Thanks!

btw, how do you embed pics directly into the post, instead of attaching them.

Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel Controls 98-2000-steering-wheel.jpg   Steering Wheel Controls 98-2000-ebay-airbag.jpg   Steering Wheel Controls 98-2000-new-airbag.jpg  
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 AM
3rd Gear

Well worth a try.

As for embedding pics directly, upload you image onto a website of some sort. You can upload to the albums as well. Then use the insert image button on the message menu bar and copy and past the link.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

Well, I was able to find a really cheap set of airbags with driver controls. So I was dismantling the existing airbag and saw that the plug in the back of the air bags was different, the pins were the same so it fit but the plug itself was different.

Also the blast pack on the back of the airbag was thicker so a cross brace in the steering would not be able to be used (no big deal). Well I plugged the cable that was in my steering wheel into the airbag w/controls and...nothing. Well i started taking stuff apart and what i can figure out is that, hx gasser you're right i need a new clock spring. The dumb thing is, why does the steering wheel electrical board have(my car has steering wheel heat) only the power input for the heat but the OUTPUT for both the controls and heat?

The clock spring also only has a plug for the heat. but that makes sense, more money and all. Just weird that they would install the controls cable in the wheel at all...just letting people know, if you want to install the controls you will have to make sure your wheel has all the correct plugs and to get a clock spring with all the things needed.