Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Strange noises

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help me out on this one. I have a '98 A6 2.8L Quattro and for the last several months I've been experiencing a strange noise coming from the front of the car. This noise is not always there but seems to be more apparent after the car has warmed up and during hot summer days (expansion of some parts???).

It is a strange thumping sound but the sound doesn't increase with speed and occasionally occurs when we turn the steering wheel. It also happens while moving straight and during braking. IN fact, the noise can be felt through the gas and brake pedals. I realize that without acutally driving the car it may be a bit difficult for someone to diagnose this problem however it's one of those problems that when i take it to a mechanic to hear the noise....the noise misteriously disappears. That was a couple of months ago but now the noise has gotten worse so I think whatever is failing and causing the noise is getting worse.

Could it possibly be the CV Joints? Or a problem with the steering rod??? Or do i have a problem with the front axle??

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I may take it to my mechanic over the weekend and have him listen to it again...

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Default RE: Strange noises

you need to drive it?? anything warped would increase in vibration on speed so cant think of anything that would do otherwise

Old 07-22-2006, 07:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Strange noises

One thing that you can simply check (if you haven't already) is flat spots on the tires.

Sometimes it just takes the tires to warm up (15min or so) for the flat spot to go away, or it may be more permenant such as a skid or physical breakdown of the tire (steel belts on the inside).

Brian