Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Subwoofer questions

Ok well here it goes... lol

1) Why do most people get 2 subs rather than 1 good one?
2)Can I get some good subs for my future A6, without getting a new head unit, cuz i like how the regular one looks like.
3)Do I need an amp for the subs? And wat are some good amps for a reasonable price?
4)What are good subs for a reasonably price
4) Is it possible to do it all for $500 or less (like everything i need except new speakers)

edit: also, i know this has nothing to do but i dont want to start a new thread for this. What company makes the best Blue light bulbs for ur headlights? I found sylvania and phillips one at the auto parts store. Are they any good?

edit again: lol i should have called this topic general noob questions but anyway. Is Erebuni the only ones that make body kits for an Audi A6? The erebuni ones look good, but they're sort of expensive

Old 12-14-2006, 03:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Subwoofer questions

just an option but check best buy and circuit city they have "combo" deals in which you get 2 rockford fosgate 10's or 12's and a box and amp for 299 - 399. so 500 is definitely within budget. you will need a rf modulator (RCA adapter) which they sell there. my recommendation would be to buy from them and take advantage of the free installation... warranty and all. hope this helps.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear

Try posting on the electrical/interior MOD section of the forum. Go with one SUB. And yes, you will need an AMP to drive it. I have a 12" HE2 RF in a lightweight ONCON box driven by a 800 WATT AMP. This is tied into the existing BOSE system. Its obnoxiuos. I have the AMP tuned way down. BTW- Prepare to sound proof (dynamat) your entire trunk. Rattles everything. $300 at car toys fixed this and it sounds awesome.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Fall0ut

Ok well here it goes... lol

1) Why do most people get 2 subs rather than 1 good one?
2)Can I get some good subs for my future A6, without getting a new head unit, cuz i like how the regular one looks like.
3)Do I need an amp for the subs? And wat are some good amps for a reasonable price?
4)What are good subs for a reasonably price
4) Is it possible to do it all for $500 or less (like everything i need except new speakers)

edit: also, i know this has nothing to do but i dont want to start a new thread for this. What company makes the best Blue light bulbs for ur headlights? I found sylvania and phillips one at the auto parts store. Are they any good?

edit again: lol i should have called this topic general noob questions but anyway. Is Erebuni the only ones that make body kits for an Audi A6? The erebuni ones look good, but they're sort of expensive
Question 1: The second sub or "driver" automatically doubles the decible level output by the system...two is louder than one. I have one really good sub and I am overly happy with it. Back in the day when I was young I had to dual giant subs that blew my ear drums out my head, now I want more quality than quantity.

Question 2: You can hook the new subs up to the old head unit but you might sacrifice some quality and may have less hook up options, I am not sure in this area because I have always added a new head unit the second I put in a system.

Question 3: Yes, you can't have a sub without an amp. Good amps for the price are hard to find, amps can easily be the most expensive part but the best ones for the price are always Rockford Fosgate and Kicker, there are others but these have been the most consistent through out the years in quality.

Question 4: This question relates alot to question 3 becuase you have to becareful that you don't under power your sub with a weak amp, or over power it with a strong one. There are alot more subs I trust than amps but the best for the price are Kicker, if you go with only one then get a Solobaric that's what I have and it slams. You can also go GL but they are pricey, Boston now makes really good subs but also pricey, and of course Rockford.

Question 5: It is possible to do it for less then $500 but you will not get much. My sub and amp combo cost around $1500. The problem with you A6, if you can call it a problem, is that it is really well built so for your sub to make a difference it has to push enough air to affect the sound in the cab. If you want quality sound I would say go with a 12" sub and put at least 500 watts to it.

My suggestion is to talk to a guy at a car audio store, they know more than you would think.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:59 PM

If your Audi has the BOSE stereo, there are step by step instructions in the Do It Yourself section of this forum. I hooked up mine with the instructions and am satisfied with the results. The only thing I did different is, I used a converter box for the RCAs to get sound. The instructions tell you to cut the RCAs and pull the individual wires out and link those to the factory amp. ( you'll understand if you read the instructions), but I had a converter box already and I wasnt really psyched about ripping open a pair of RCAs.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:46 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Ice Train

Question 5: It is possible to do it for less then $500 but you will not get much. My sub and amp combo cost around $1500. The problem with you A6, if you can call it a problem, is that it is really well built so for your sub to make a difference it has to push enough air to affect the sound in the cab. If you want quality sound I would say go with a 12" sub and put at least 500 watts to it.
Not true, My system Cost me around 250 - 300 and im pushing 600rms which is plenty