Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a 2.7T, but found 2 probl

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Default Thinking about a 2.7T, but found 2 probl

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=black size=2>I'm looking seriously at a new (2004) 2.7Tbut after spending a few hours in one discovered a couple of things that bother me.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>A local dealer let me use a brand new 2.7T (15 miles on it). I put 100 miles on the car both on the road and in town. Two problems popped up. First, when pulling out into traffic accross a busy street I lifted for a moment as I looked for traffic, then stepping on the gas again it hesitated or bogged. It didn't stall but it felt like it was going to stall. I lifted again right away and then eased down on the throttle and it moved out into traffic. A bit startling. Second, I noticed after 50 or 60 miles, when backing up, stopping and dropping it into drive, there was a moment of hesitation before it went into gear. Back in the 60's that was a sure sign a car was low on trany fluid but it also meant the transmission was a little sloppy back then and it gave me some concern about this new Audi A6.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>I stopped by the local dealer and talked to the service guys about these problems and was told it's a characteristic of the A6 Turbo and to expect it. In other words, live with it, there is no fix.</FONT></P>

Any comments? Similar experiences? OtherwiseI love the car and was ready to jump in on a maroon with beige interior, a really beautiful car.</P>

Now I'm hesitating, not sure I want to live with these quirks.</P>

Gary</P>

Old 11-30-2003, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

just buy a stick shift!

Old 12-01-2003, 12:02 AM

Thanks Firestarter. I might go for a stick if I didn't already have the Porsche for spirited driving.</P>

I'm serious about the A6. I'm looking for something comfortable to cruiseback and forth to work in. A good stereo, (the Box's stereo is terrible even if I could here it over the road noise I get in the cabin), a smooth ride and no shifting, thanks anyway, in highway traffic.</P>

Anyone else have these problems with the A6 2.7 or 3.0?</P>

</P>

Old 02-27-2004, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

I have been driving A6 2.7T (2000) for a while now and I have experienced the same things you are talking about. These cars (with automatic trans anyway) are not the quickest to take off from stop... but in any event, there is something called Turbo Lag... that is the turbo takes a moment to build the boost… mainly due to lack of enough exhaust gases to turn the turbo to build enough pressure… this is not a problem.. This the inherent design problem of turbos itself. In general.. The turbines need to spin to compress the gasses on the compressor side… and that's what builds the boost…</P>

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If not, take a different car… not that specific one…. I am sure you'll love it. It's a great car. MAKE SURE MAINTENANCE IS DONE AT SCHEDULED PERIODS… WITH AUDI CERTIFIED OR APPROVED FLUIDS AND PARTS.</P>

</P>

MESSAGE FOR ALL AUDI OWNERS:</P>

A6 2.7T , A4 1.8T (sedan, avant) MAKE SURE YOU USE SYTHETIC OIL ONLY!!!</P>

Regular oil builds up crud into the turbo oil lines and blows them out. Synthetic oil can help tremendously for the longevity of the engine…!!! This is not a Lie. TRUST ME. I WENT THROUGH TURBO REPLACEMENT… the previous f**king owner decided to do oil changes on his own and didn't tell me anything about it… Later when I got the car, after a while, Both turbos blew out! Audi Tech said that the crud in the oil is what caused it… </P>

Do you know that Turbos may spin upto ~150,000 RPM!!!.... Now, you think about the oil you put in your car.</P><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>

Old 03-18-2004, 08:05 PM

Another problem - leaky camshaft and tensioner seals (it seems to be a common problem with 2.7t's) Make sure these are OK before buying the car.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Site Moderator

you are experiencing turbo lag, dude. Even my 1.8t A4 has it.

BTW - you do not NEED to use synthetic oil only if you maintain warm up and cool down procedures for the turbo. The oil lines coke up when you shut off the car without a cool down period - hot oil sits stagnant in the lines and forms coke in the lines, clogging them over time, starving the turbo.

I lost a turbo because the previous owner did not adhere to this (he used synth oil consistently).<edited><editID>brrman</editID><editDate>38077.428599537</editDate></edited>

Old 05-31-2007, 02:52 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Thinking about a 2.7T, but found 2 probl

hi 'brrman'. you mean we have to maintain warm up/cool down everytime turn on/off the engine? For how many seconds or minutes? It sounds awefully inconvenient.. I am new to Audi (2003 allroad 2.7T since 2006). Thanks.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:22 AM
1st Gear

Turbo timer,end of problem!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2000 2.8 quatro non turbo but I have found that unless you come to a complete stop the transmission on my car will most likely be in second gear and I get the feeling the car is bogged down and then all of a sudden it will shift down to first and take off. this happens when I do a rolling stop typically, I find it very annoyingso I use the tiptronic to make sure its in first when I know this condition is going to happen. this might be some of what you are experiencing but Turbo lag is probably part of it to.

Just my 2 cents

Old 05-31-2007, 08:12 PM
3rd Gear

It's been stated many times in this forum in multiple postings....turbo care is common sense. Regardless of outside temperature, don't accelerate hard until the engine oil has warmed up to 175o or so. And don't race the crap out of it and then shut it right down. A couple miles or so at a reasonable speed will let the engine (and oil) cool down. I don't think sitting in the driveway idling will help cool it off and is a waste of gas. Ditto for letting it warm up in cold weather. I've parked mine outside in below zero weather and let it idle for only a couple minutes before driving off. But I keep the rpm's low until the oil warms up.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 2.7T, but found 2 probl