Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt

I just got a 2000 Audi A6 with 108K on it and I need to have the timing belt changed.

Must I have the timing belt changed by the Audi dealer or I can just have it done in some mechanic shop like Firestone?

Thanks a lot!

Old 08-15-2006, 12:08 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Timing belt

I would find an independent foreign auto shop...much cheaper than the dealer and they will will know what to do better than a place like firestone.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:09 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Timing belt

You don't have to have it done by a dealership but you DEFINITELY should have it done by an independent that specialized in Audis -- not the run-of-the-mill Firestone place. When it is done, all moving parts that touch the belt should be changed as well (pulleys, tensioners, water pump). Timing belts rarely fail -- it's the parts attached to them that do. So, when you're spending the money to have this done, make sure they do it right and replace ALL the parts that are subject to wear and may fail.

You can go to www.ecstuning.com and look at their "ultimate timing belt replacement kit" for a reference. You may even save yourself a few bucks by buying it there and finding a good mechanic to do the work. Check the regional forum here and at audiworld.com for suggestions on good Audi mechanics in your area.

BTW, it is REALLY important that you get this done soon if it has never been done before. If one of the parts of the timing belt system fails, it will FRY your engine. Really.

Good luck.