Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt R&R input needed Please and Thanks...

Old 10-12-2006, 01:09 AM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt R&R input needed Please and Thanks...

I'm planning on the replacement soon so if anyone has any detailed instructions with pictures that would be great....info on any and all tools to be used as well as all the parts that should be replaced...I want to replace everything....
Thank you,Paul
Oh and if anyone wants to come over and help would be even better...LOL...

Old 10-12-2006, 01:54 AM
Default RE: Timing belt R&R input needed Please and Thanks...

Good luck with that. I saw my mechanic do it and it looked like a pain in the ***. He needed a special tool to lock the cam in position and it's not cheap. Plus if you screw up you could end up doing a valve job as well.
You should replace the Timing belt tensioner and the water pump. Be prepared to spend about $350-400 on parts alone.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Some info....

Link from AudiWorld

Read through all this stuff. There's a lot to do, but it isn't too bad once you get over the fact that you are taking the front end of your car off! Give yourself a couple days and take your time.

You can buy timing belt kits from several sources on-line - PureMS, ECSTuning, Blauparts.

Blau will also rent you all the tools you need if you buy from them, last time I checked it was ~$40 extra.

You may also want to check the local forums, both here and on AudiWorld, to see if someone might loan you the tools. I have a cam bar and crank lock loaned out to someone right now.

Oh - you might also want to post what engine you have.

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2006, 02:42 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Some info....

Good idea...Its the 2.8 30 valve... I know its not going to be easy and I plan to have it parked for the weekend ...Oh and I know its not going to be cheap by any means and I plan on servicing the transmission too...
If anyone can loan the tools,I will leave a good deposit and would be so thankful...
This is a must do job and I wont be able to sleep good til its done...its my wifes car so I worry...A LOT!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 PM
AQ6
1st Gear
Default RE: Some info....

Some people suggest replacing cam-shaft seals and valve cover gaskets while you're there. They are prone to leak especially on passanger side.