Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know,another timing belt question but please give your input...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:06 AM
1st Gear
Default I know,another timing belt question but please give your input...

So I'm waiting for a local import repair shop to get back with me on the timing belt job...I pulled the cover back to see what the belt looked like and was thinking,it looks pretty good...It still felt rubbery,I couldnt see any cracks or weather checking,all the ribs look good and the printed lables were still there and only slightly faded...

So heres the deal,I bought the car about two weeks ago for my wife and I dont know if the belt has been changed...It has 130000 miles and was a leased car for 80000 miles...If this belt had 130000 miles on it,would it look this good? The label says CONTITECH , and made in Germany...Does this sound like a factory belt or a replacement belt? I know its easy to say,if you dont know...change it...and for the most part,thats true buuuut....$$$$ must also apply....

Thanks everyone

Old 10-17-2006, 02:48 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: I know,another timing belt question but please give your input...

At 130k miles, you're coming up on the need for a second timing belt change. Here's the thing you really need to understand... timing belts are usually not what fails. It's antoher component in that chain -- a pulley or a tensioner. The end result is the same -- massive engine dammage. So, when the timing belt is change, you should also replace the pulleys, tensioners, and water pump at the same time. See ECStuning.com for a kit that includes everything.

This is a "better safe than sorry" maintenance issue.