Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt + water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt + water pump

How much is this going to cost me?

Old 12-17-2006, 06:07 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Timing belt + water pump

If you can't do it yourself, take it to any indy mechanic that has specific knowlegde of Audi's. Mine was done at the dealer before I bought the car for $1450.00. An indy mechanic I'm sure could do it for less, maybe $900.00 or so would be my GUESS. The parts will cost you ~ $300-400.00.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

where are you located

This will best help us steer you to a good mechanic on your area

Old 12-17-2006, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

o wow the labor is real expensive then

is there a step by step manual or guide on how to change the timing belt urself?

Old 12-17-2006, 08:35 PM
3rd Gear

The independent speed shop that works on my 2003 A6 2.7T gave me a rough quote of $900 to replace the timing belt, water pump, and all the various tensioners and pieces that should be done at that time. Keep in mind this is western Michigan, and his labor rate is $75/hr vs the $120/hr at the Farmington Hills dealership at which I had to have some emergency service performed.

Do a search on this site for lots of threads on this topic. Check Southboro Guy for links to parts.

And here's another site...
www.purems.com[/u]
Your source for everything Audi/VW!
(951) 491-0852

I have not used them so I can't speak from experience, but if someone else has purchased the kit, please let us both know if it was high quality and priced "right".

Old 12-17-2006, 08:40 PM
3rd Gear

I have not done my A6's myself since it doesn't need to be changed for another 65k, but will do it myself with use of the Bentley manual and experience. As far as a step-by-step write up maybe there is one in Stoney's links. The Bentley manual would be useful but assumes a certain level of mechanical ability. So not exactly a step by step type of manual.

Changing timing belts is not that difficult, it is just time consuming. If you have never done one yourself, you might want to learn on a different car, like your buddies Focus or something. But everyone has to learn at sometime. I would spend an afternoon calling every indy in your area and gets as many quotes as possible. Ask if any take payments.

Are you sure the belt needs to be changed? I assume you know for sure, you asked your boss(I think). You should also go the the dealer of purchase and ask them to print you out all the service records they have for the car. Also ask your boss if he/she had any work done outside the dealer, and go there and ask for the records. People often forget all the stuff they had done over the years. Especially while it is still under warrenty.

I am one of the people out there that think you MAY be a little too young to have bought this car. But we have all bought cars we can't afford at times in our lives. Well maybe not all of us, but certainly I have.

Enough of the lecturing, ask your dad if he can help change the belt. Ask your friends dad's (or mom's). If you can change this belt yourself you will save a ton of money. Take that money and save it. ING Direct is offering almost 5% interest on their savings accounts with no minimum.

Good luck.

Jeff

Old 12-18-2006, 12:37 AM
2nd Gear

Make sure you also change the tensioners/pulleys as well. They tend to wear out. www.purems.com and www.ecstuning.com both have kits that contain everything you need.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Baskin 4.2l

where are you located

This will best help us steer you to a good mechanic on your area
Cleveland, Ohio area

Old 12-18-2006, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SouthboroAudiGuy

Make sure you also change the tensioners/pulleys as well. They tend to wear out. www.purems.com and www.ecstuning.com both have kits that contain everything you need.

omg how much is the gonna cost? are those the spring things? or the control arm things?

Old 12-20-2006, 07:15 AM
1st Gear

Fall out,

If you are colse to the Detroit area. I would suggest going to VAST. That is where I have and always will take my car. My complete 60K service with new water pump all the tenchoners pullies timing belt acc belt new thurmostat "o" ring for the t stat full inspection and replaced al my VAC hoses came to 900$ they did a complete inspection of my car and replaced my bad n75 for free. At theend they told me every thing that needed to be replaced on my car and about how much it would be no prussure to do any more work.Plus while you are there you can get Dp's and a chip that is what happended to me.But I would strongly suggest them they are the best in the area.