Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing or Throttle Body Problem

Old 12-31-2008, 12:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Timing or Throttle Body Problem

If the car is idling and I go to rev it up, depressing the accelerator pretty abruptly, I get a ping. There is no hesitation, just a ping. If I ease in to it or tap it normally its completly fine. Just when I tap it very quickly and with some force. I run 93 octane as I have the GIAC program.

Could the timing be off? Or could this be more of a throttle body issue?

Or do I just have an engine troll?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

bump....

Old 01-04-2009, 04:07 PM
2nd Gear

Timing is advanced at idle. WHen you give it gas, the timing should be retarded by the ECU as it sees the signal of the throttle plate opening from the TPS. Sounds like you are not getting the needed retard in time, so I would suspect the TPS.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 01-04-2009, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

Do you have VAG-COM? If you do, you should see a fault if there is a problem with the TB actuator, maybe not something that would turn the MIL on though.

I have the same car/chip as you and got plenty of pinging when I first installed the ECM, but after adaptation it is now fine. Have you disconnected the ECM or battery lately? Has it always done this? Another cause of pinging is carbon build-up in the combustion chamber, easily remedied by Sea-Foam.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
Timing is advanced at idle. WHen you give it gas, the timing should be retarded by the ECU as it sees the signal of the throttle plate opening from the TPS. Sounds like you are not getting the needed retard in time, so I would suspect the TPS.

Good luck,

Bob

Hi Bob

TPS...I assume that is the acronym for throttle positioning sensor???

I ran vag-com and it turned up 0 fault codes, also i have no cel present

Do you have VAG-COM? If you do, you should see a fault if there is a problem with the TB actuator, maybe not something that would turn the MIL on though.

I have the same car/chip as you and got plenty of pinging when I first installed the ECM, but after adaptation it is now fine. Have you disconnected the ECM or battery lately? Has it always done this? Another cause of pinging is carbon build-up in the combustion chamber, easily remedied by Sea-Foam.
I'll try a TB adaptation again. I'm not sure if it has always done this or if it is a new symptom. If I Sea-Foam it will I have to change out the spark plugs, because I just installed a new set?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like your TPS is OK - the TB actuator has a transducer to confirm position rather than a TPS and if it was grossly off you would have a code.

I have Sea-foamed many times without having to replace plugs. Wait till after dark so your neighbors don't call the fire dept!