Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIPTRONIC NOT ENGAGING. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Default TIPTRONIC NOT ENGAGING. HELP

Hi everyone I have an 2000 Audi A6 2.8L. I just drove it this morning only to find out that my tiptronic won't work and the auto transmission won't engage to the 5 gear. The LED display that indicates which gear the car is in, which normally indicates this by inverting the display of the selected drive, wouldn't show ANY gear as selected .

Old 07-12-2004, 08:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: TIPTRONIC NOT ENGAGING. HELP

Hope you found the answer by now, but if not, here goes. Your tranny is operating in full hydraulic mode -- gears one through four mitout any electronic override -- because something electrical is broke. When my '99 did the same, diagnostics pulled a code that indicated a fried multi-function switch. I changed it myself to save $400 on labor, but it's no picnic.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

I had a different problem in that the Tiptronic switch appears to have broken. When I tried to go the Tiptronic mode nothing happened. Normally I heard a plastic clicking sound which in hind sight probably wasn't good. The Tiptronic now doesn't work but the transmission still works OK. More of an annoyance than anything else. What does seem strange is that the shift points are now more aggressive. I'm OK with that and will probably investigate as an intellectual exercise. And I thought Jaguars were strange.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by carelm
I had a different problem in that the Tiptronic switch appears to have broken. When I tried to go the Tiptronic mode nothing happened. Normally I heard a plastic clicking sound which in hind sight probably wasn't good. The Tiptronic now doesn't work but the transmission still works OK. More of an annoyance than anything else. What does seem strange is that the shift points are now more aggressive. I'm OK with that and will probably investigate as an intellectual exercise. And I thought Jaguars were strange.
this exact thing has happened to me now. I belive it was my fault though. I removed the cover arround the shifter, then removed the chrome cover around the shifter itself, theres an electronic board under there thats pluged into power, just cliped in, i unclipped and removed it but could not get the chromer cover off over the shift head ****. i gave up and jst cleaned everything and plugged everything back in but now when i move the shifter into the tiptronic mode it acts like nothing has changed, and wont show the display on the LCD for the gears. It is a bit more agressive in auto though.. wierd

Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 PM
3rd Gear

Not always the fix, but may apply to some of you.

DIY: Get your Tiptronic working again (W/ PICS) VW Passat/ Audi