Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic for slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Tiptronic for slowing down

In my Passat I use the tip to slow down. I mostly drop a few gears (usually into 3rd) so i can navigate through nyc streets EASY... since, I can accelerate very quickly, but also have the control of the engine breaking. I cannot do this with the 2.7T because the car is wayyy too heavy for the engine to slow it down... and with all that you read about being good to your 2.7T here it's probably not the thing you want to do. Now, if the car is chipped, and maybe even with one of these tip-chips that ya'all keep talking about, can you break better with the engine? does the tiptronic actually make sense on the car? since.. It seems really pointless for me to have the tiptronic (with the steering wheel shifters!). I sometimes play with it when i want to drive more aggressively, but the S[port?] mode does the trick fine.. also im scared as hell of f*&king up my engine.

Comments.. your experience? anyone?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Tiptronic for slowing down

I rather buy a set of rotors and brakes other than slow down with high RPMS. Only time I ever do that is to try and get somebody to race.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear

well, one Wammy is right, you need better braking on yuor car. Without spending 1000's on a BBK, yuo can upgrade pads, get SS brake lines and maybe even better rotors when it is time to chnage them.
As for the Tiptronic, I use mine daily, I actually almost never drive in D. I use my TIPtronic and shift up/down as I would with a manual... Downshifting does slow down the car but it IS heavy and good brakes are essential indeed.
I have the tip recode and a Tip Chip... both help with the car behavior, shifting and handling the extra power form mods but won't give you extra engine braking. The chip does help shift faster.
That was my experience. Hope it helps.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 PM

I use my tip to slow down, but the sound of the engine going up to 3 or 4 rpm's and all that gas that's being burnt just to slow down makes me cringe. F it use brakes

Old 07-08-2008, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

thanks all.... it's really fun on the passat... and im sure the A4s. i have stock 2.7 and it's not the same experience.. the S mode works fine for now.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

oh on another note... slowing down in tip on the passat has gotten me out of a few speeding tickets. If i slow with the tip the break lights don't glow... it sometimes confuses drivers... and when i see the highway patrol i slow with the the tip rather than the break, since in my experience, once they see you with the break lights on it implies guilt... and I've been pulled over JUST for that before.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 PM

Haha i was watching a Cannon ball run video and every time they would see a cop they would down shift and not brake so they don't have those guilty red lights shinning right in the officers face.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 PM

I use both... I never use just tip unless I'm going uphill while slowing. Then again if I roll up next to a loser in a ricer I always throw it down a gear or 2 to slow next to him and keep the revs at about 3300 so there is no lag if we do end up doing a pull. Ever once in a while while driving I find myself giving it a little gas while down shifting through the gears just to hear the different tones from the engine!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
2nd Gear

I was driving and noticed the car slows the same speed when dropping it to 2nd/3rd while going 60mph. Yes it obviously slows the car but I was shocked that is slowed at the same speed. ohh I drive tip everytime I am in the car :P I think it really helps to save gas getting 25-27mpg buuttttdef hurts in those situations where you get 5mpg

Old 07-10-2008, 01:16 AM

ORIGINAL: a6in backup account

I use my tip to slow down, but the sound of the engine going up to 3 or 4 rpm's and all that gas that's being burnt just to slow down makes me cringe. F it use brakes
I use it to slow all the time rather than the brakes but thats just me.

One thing to keep in mind is that slowing down with the tip does not use gas...at all. It used to be that the engine would dump quite a bit of gas when you did this due to carburaters but that has changed with fuel injection. Fuel injection meters the air coming in past the mass air flow sensor. When you use the tip to slow down your throttle valve is closed completely so there is no air going past the mass air flow sensor. The fuel injection system also gives it some fuel if the idle is too low but that definetely isn't the case at 4000 rpm. Therefore no fuel is wasted. The argument here is that when you are in tiptronic mode and using the tip to slow you down you are usually doing it in order to keep the car in the optimal gear for quick accelleration....therefore you won't be using any fuel when decellerating but you'll definetley be using much more fuel coming out of that curve when you smash down on the accellerator again.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Tiptronic for slowing down