Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear
Default tranny fluid?

any diys on changing out transmission fluid?

Old 01-24-2007, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: tranny fluid?

yup, purchase a bentley manual, it's all in there.
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html

I would flush it, so fill a couple of time, run it, then change it again.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

you really SHOULDNT change your fluid. highly UNRECCOMENDED by every mechanic and audi dealer i talked to. just check to make sure your fluid is at the correct level.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

I hope no-onebuys into the "lifetime fluid" idea. My mechanic (European shop) that works on all sorts of exotic cars (and true exotic cars) states that it is shameful that any car manufacturing company would actually state that any fluid that is used by the engine/transmission is a lifetime fluid. The manufacturer considers lifetime in the area of 7-10 years, after that you should be buying an other new car. After all they are in the market to make money.

I can tell you that my shifting (auto) was much smoother after my mechanic flushed and drained my 2000 4.2, I am very pleased with my decision to have it done.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:39 PM

I hope you’re not serious. I have changed mine and it was the nastiest, worst smelling fluid I have ever had come out of a car. The idea of a lifetime transmission is ridiculous.

Jason

Old 01-25-2007, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear

I took my car to a transmission shop that specializes only european cars and has a lot of experience with the ZF5HP19 transmission that are used in Audi and BMWs. He said the fluid was a lifetime fill and it was recommeded by Audi not to change it. I was going to change it no matter what he said so I asked if he really believed that, and he said well of course not, but I sell a lot more transmissions that way. He changed my fluid and filter at 114k miles and ever since my transmission has been very smooth. It cost me around 200.00 dollars, for me the risk of under or over filling it for 200.00 dollars was not worth it. With every other car I have ever owned I have done the fluid changes myself, this car, I'll pay 200.00.

Jeff

Old 01-25-2007, 04:58 PM
2nd Gear

Lifetime Fluid??? Of course this is stupid. The bet is that you will sell the car as mentioned above. I talked to a mechanic at my dealer and he said not to replace the fluid. Not becuase it didnt need it but becuase I am under warranty until 100,000k and the tranny will fail beforehand. It is already missing shifts and reverse feels like its going. As soon as it pukes, I get a new one under warranty, and then from there the mechanic says do routine flush's every 30k miles. If not under warranty, do a full flush, filter change, gaskets etc to save your tranny.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:11 PM

LIFETIME FLUID???????? THAT"S JUST PLAIN STUPID.
It's like saying your engine oil is lifetime don't change it, now, what would happen if you don't?
If you want your transmission to last longer change it
I did on mine (@140000) and it's a lot better.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: foorausfoora

you really SHOULDNT change your fluid. highly UNRECCOMENDED by every mechanic and audi dealer i talked to. just check to make sure your fluid is at the correct level.
Why? Is it due to Audi saying not to? All auto makers are getting into "Lifetime" fluids. It's fine if you lease the car & will be not driving it over 50,000mi.

The Dealer is Hell bent on not changing it! Audi fluid is expensive.

I changed mine, it was nasty! Very nasty. My car shifts smoother, I picked up a couple MPG. It has a filter in there. Would you never change any other filter on there?
We also have Lifetime fuel filters. So we should never change that to?

Where some of the internet myth comes form is really old neglected trans who have never had a fluid change. So when you get it changed it shocks all the seals & clutches, cleans them all out, so now they fail due to the gunk that was holding them tougher.

I would change the trans fluid every 30kmi. But that's just me, & I've never had a trans fail because of it.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:33 AM
1st Gear

dont mean to hijack the thread but since we're onthe subject of fluids, should the diff. fluid be changed routinely as well?

Quick Reply: tranny fluid?