Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Default Transmission???

I just had a ton of work done to my car - new valve cover gaskets, cam tensioners, wheel bearing (LF), cv boots, timing belt, water pump, serp belt, power stearing pump. Before I took my car in, the transmission worked fine. On the way home, it stayed in gear (any gear) to a much higher RPM than it ever had before downshifting - outside of sport mode. I really just dismissed it assuming it had been test driven by the tech (slightly hard) and had a lot of new parts. Acted fine the next day. Today, I actually drove the car for the first time in traffic. At slow speeds, the transmission seemed confused. It would upshift then quickly downshift (usually quite harshly). My passenger described the car as 'lurching.' Then, it made a several audible 'clunking' noises during downshifts. Upshifts were fine and once out of traffic the car drove fine, it was just at slow speeds. The car has 58,500 miles and has never done any of these things before. I am calling the shop in the morning. Before then, does any one have any ideas what the issue may be. I am convinced the work done and how the car is now driving are related.

Thanks. Also, it is the 5 speed auto with Tiptronic.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 PM
3rd Gear

Take it back. Maybe they knocked a sensor off, maybe they lost some trans fluid then over filled/under filled it.

What symptoms prompted the PS pump replacement?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:20 AM

thanks jeffla. I am about to call in 10 when they open. I just wanted to be more informed.

Ps Pump replacement because of a groan when turning the wheel at slow speeds. Wasn't the pump. Maybe the hoses? I am going for some new clamps this weekend.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:42 PM

Just got back from the garage. The transmission did not throw any codes, but the motor did - mass airflow sensor (if I remember correctly). Took the tech for a ride, problem did not replicate. I described it to him and he said it sounded like a throttle body going out, and the code apprently supported his hypothesis. After a long and over my head discussion it appears that the shop reset the ECM while doing all of the work last week and the car was relearning how I drive - that is why it held the gear for so long on the way back from the shop. They reset the code and manually (electronically) set the throttle body and hopefully that will resolve the issue. I hope I got all of that right - information overload. Go in there with a smidgen of knowledge and they throw all kinds of techincal terms at you - nice guys though .

Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Did your car seem to pound into gear when going from either N or R into D?
I replaced the spark plugs in my 2000 A6 Avant and to reach the passenger bank I removed the some cover over the air intake and then removed the plug attached there.

When I took my car out for a test drive, it had some incredibly violent downshifts and when I would put it in drive it was like someone pounded me from behind.

It then threw and engine code P0102 'mass flow' I had forgotten to reconnect the plug under that air intake cover. Reconnected the plug and the pounding into drive has gone away. It took a little while for the engine to idle normal again. '

Check that plug first. I had hoped my check engine would go out once it was connected but just might have to disconnect the battery.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Mass Air Flow fault......? But he thinks the throttle body was going out....? LOL. Was that the porter diagnosing your car...?

Mass Air Flow is load sensing and the Engine and Transmission use it...

My guess.... he messed something up (connector unplugged) and made up a story so it doesn't look like it was his fault.

Thats big money you spent.... They should have shown more care

Old 02-25-2010, 07:14 PM

@ biotechsolutions - I do not recall the car ever pounding into gear...maybe when the motor/trans. is cold and cold out, but I really never recall that happening. The clunking was something new. However, I am still on original plugs. Mechanic was going to change them out, but I finally cut them off. Maybe I will change them out this weekend.

@darkprodo - it made sense at the time. CHARLATANS!

Seriously though, it has an issue. I am guessing MAF. I do not see how a throttle body could go at 59k miles. I read somewhere that the original throttle body boot has had some challenges and I am planning on looking at that this weekend..and changing out if it is ripped. Also, I am going to clean off the MAF Sensor and see if that helps.

Since they reset the ECM, it has not lurched or clunked, but it IS different. I literally have been flooring the car lately (last night) and nothing happens. It is like sometimes the throttle is not even hooked into the car. Esp going into 2nd gear. 3rd gear, it sometimes feels like the car is slowing down. My Land Rover just may be faster at this point. Again, sometimes it works just fine. Drove to Austin yesterday and pushed it up over 100 - worked flawlessly. Avg 25.8 mpg....Must be a sensor.