Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission confusing me

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:48 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation transmission confusing me

So i have been looking around the forum and googleing everything i can with no success. First off i have 2001 Audi A6 2.7T automatic trans code faq. So i have read about all lights on the prndl mean limp mode but what if they do not show up at all? Here are some of the other issues with it . When i start the car it tells me to push in the clutch. Wont let me move from park sometimes. Reverse one day gone the next and back the next. And it feels like it is in limp mode. Here is a video link to show you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9LN...e_gdata_player

Any help would be great my brain is shutting down from thinking to much. Thanks again

Sammy

Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear

get access to a vag-com. ebay generic or otherwise. you're not the 1st person to have the computer get confused as to which transmission it has. I can't think of a solution off hand. Search is my only suggestion. Search google not audiforums directly. Audiforums results will show up in google as well as all the other popular audi sites.

I would guess, the car can't shift out of park because the computer is telling it their is not a park safety switch on a manual. So it won't let you disengage the safety switch you actually have. There is probably a manual bypass to let you shift gears. I don't know where that is off hand.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...manual-173991/ this is really all I can find.

Who knows what the thumping noise is.

I see you're in Fridley, I'm in MPLS near downtown.

EDIT: can't find a manual over-ride on my car. hmm.

Last edited by Jeffla; 07-16-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Vag-com is orderd. And about another 3 hours of searching nothing new came up that i can see. But i guess i will find out when the vag-com gets here

Old 07-16-2012, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear

Is the floor under the drivers seat wet?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

No the topside of the carpet is not but i will pull it up just in case and ill look on passanger side as well

Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

It looks and sound like your TCM is fried. But I could be wrong.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

I was thinking that also but the funny thing is i started the car today and for s & giggles i tried to put in in drive and what do you know it does but not to chance messing it up i put it in park amd stuck again lol. Oh and no water as i can see

Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 AM
1st Gear

So i could not sleep went out to the audi riped up the carpet and it wass all dry so i desided to pull out the tcm and to my suprise filled with water.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 AM
3rd Gear

now dry it completely and hope for the best. Also clean your battery drains and sunroof drains to avoid water getting in again.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

remove the TCM and clean it with a mixture of 70% rubbing alcohol & 30% water and let it dry for a day or 2. Make sure that you clean the connector contacts & pins. Before installing it put some electrical grease on the connector.

Another thing don't start the engine, just turn the switch for 5 minutes so TCM, ECU & etc., so they can adjust. After turn the switch to the off position wait 10 sec or more and start the engine.(reason why: people remove TCM, ECU, etc., & re-stalled them and start the car right up without letting them adjust. That's where a lot of issue arise from needing to be re-flash or what not.)

So let us know how it went.

Quick Reply: transmission confusing me