Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic thinks its a manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Automatic thinks its a manual

Good evening everyone, im new here so im sorry in advance if im a little slow at first. I do love my audi, but is breaking my heart. A few days ago i was driving for about an hour of all highway travel when i stopped at a light and suddenly my baby started losing control of the RPMs it seemed, I then drove it home very slowly. While waiting to get it fixed another problem has risen: when i go to put my key in and turn it on it displayes the message of "Press on clutch to start engine". I HAVE AN AUTOMATIC CAR. ALWAYS WAS. im stressing hard because i cant even get it out of park. Not only that but the cabin lights flash constantly. When i do start the car, it runs for a second then stalls out.......PLEASE HELP

Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

Sounds to me like ur cars been flooded. I think that your cars tcm might have gone bad. Two things to check

Are your passneger side floor mats wet?

In your engine bay remove the entire back cover and you will see your battery and a black box at your right. Look inside and see if you can spot any traces of water.

I had a friend who had water in his tcm and had the same problem. Sometimes if your luck cleaning the tcm will help if not that's a 1000 dollars. Remove your passgener side mats all of them not just the top and clean the transmission control module asap.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
Sounds to me like ur cars been flooded. I think that your cars tcm might have gone bad. Two things to check

Are your passneger side floor mats wet?

In your engine bay remove the entire back cover and you will see your battery and a black box at your right. Look inside and see if you can spot any traces of water.

I had a friend who had water in his tcm and had the same problem. Sometimes if your luck cleaning the tcm will help if not that's a 1000 dollars. Remove your passgener side mats all of them not just the top and clean the transmission control module asap.
I think your right. its been raining here none stop since hurricane irene. and yes i do get flooding in my passenger foot well when it rains and my car is slopped nose downhill (unfortunatly thats my driveway). Is there any advice you can give me to checking these things? THANK YOU SO MUCH

Old 09-15-2011, 04:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ON3dutch
I think your right. its been raining here none stop since hurricane irene. and yes i do get flooding in my passenger foot well when it rains and my car is slopped nose downhill (unfortunatly thats my driveway). Is there any advice you can give me to checking these things? THANK YOU SO MUCH
well I'm no expert but 1st thing is to clean the passgenger side footwell ASAP! Remove the carpet and remove the water out of the tcm make sure it's dry. I think there's a thread of a guy who cleaned his with 90% alcohol and his symptoms went away. Also check on YouTube on how to clean the water. The battery must be out. It's quite an easy DIY. hardest part IMO is removing the heavy battery! B/c there is no wiggle room. I've also read about a guy who put his tcm in rice. But i cannot remember if it worked for him.
Best of luck! I would do it asap as that module is a dealer only item and is quite expensive 1000-2000!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ON3dutch
this should help you out a lot. watch it and do the same to your car.

1999 Audi A6 Water Leak DIY Tutorial - YouTube

also make sure your sunroof is clear of leaves and dirts ect.