Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Flush 06 A6--when?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Default Transmission Flush 06 A6--when?

The car I'm shopping an 06 A6 Tiptronic has 34k..when will it need (by the book) the first full transmission flush? Does this trannie have a built-in cooler? Also, what fluid does it suggest?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM
2nd Gear

The ATF is called "lifetime" fluid. I am skeptical of such claims and had the dealer change it at 35,000 miles in my 05 4.2. The tech was nice and put it through under a TSB, which saved me over a $1,000.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

Never , ever do a flush! Only drain the fluid, drop the pan, clean the pan, replace filter, replace pan gasket, and refill.

Between 35k -40k is good.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
2nd Gear

90K fluid is lifetime (100,000 miles) So at around 90K do a fluid and filter change. However in the interim you will need to find a mechanic that can actually check it and top it off. I can tell you right now my Audi dealer has no such person in their employ. I had to learn to do it myself. A complete PITA. The good thing is BMW has the same type transmission so you only need to find a good Euro mechanic. You would actually need to do it about three times to get all of the old fluid out because much of it is trapped in the torque converter.

FYI. You need to check it by hooking up a VAG-COM and starting vehicle, while car is on a lift or stands-MUST BE LEVEL. With your foot on the brake shift the transmission into each gear for ten seconds (R,D,N,S) this pulls the fluid into the transmission. Remove the large fill plug nothing should drip out yet. When the Vag-Com says the transmission temp has hit 30 Celsius you need to be under the car (it must be running at all times do not turn it off) have someone tell you when the temp has hit 40 Celsius at that time fluid should be leaking out if not you are low and need to top it off and you must reinstall the plug before it hits 45 Celsius or you will drain to much off. The best way to top it off would be to automatically add fluid to the transmission while it is colder than 30 Celsius then drain off the excess. I would do this in the Fall or winter when it is cold out that would make it easier. I recommend using Audi fluid or Pentosin. I also recommend using the gravity feed method to fill it rather than the pump.

So even if you are smart enough not to attempt this on your own at least you know what is involved. In order to do this correctly the car would have to be on the lift and left to cool over night. You will no be able to just drop it off and wait you need to leave it so it cools down completely to properly check it.

AUDI did not do this for me so I paid $350 for nothing and had to do it myself because they did it While HOT and underfilled it and my transmission was whining like a stuck pig.

Last edited by Jackmup; 07-23-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:29 PM

Your scaring me Jackmup but excellent details on your experience.

I'm also leery of 'lifetime' claims although the tiptronic is just a complicated hydraulic device and if the fluids maintains a reasonable temp (not sure what this is) hence my question if the trannie has a built in cooler... then that would extend the fluid life much much longer if it doesn't have a built-in cooler maybe one can be added..I did this on my ol'mercedes but it's built more like a truck. I've got a local garage who has one of those expensive flushing machines, I'll print your procedure and see if they would tackle it. As of yet, I have not purchased the A6, I'm setting up the scenario's I'll have to do though. thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

IT's not necessary to use the VAG-COM. I did my tranny service without it and experienced no problems. I also did it last month. Just make sure to let the tranny cool down for about 2-3 hours, then when you can touch the pan with your hand without burning yourself commence the procedure. If its warm but not hot, you're at the right temp. Drain the fluid, drop pan, install filter, replace pan with gasket and begin filling. Once it drips out of the whole, start the engine and go through the gears for 10 seconds each like Jack said above. After you do this and by the time you get back down under the car, the tranny has warmed up considerably so when you top it off until it drips out again, your golden.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:38 PM
3rd Gear

Straight from ZF website.

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/i...g/5HP19FLA.pdf

I did it without hooking up the VAGcom. If anyone need a DIY, I can email a DIY that I created. Send me a message.