General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CVT Transmission flush - do or die?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Default CVT Transmission flush - do or die?

Hi Everybody - I turn to you as my last resort - I am about to lose my mind over my 2003 Audi A4 3.0 Cabriolet. I bought it used with 90k miles. I have replaced the timing belt, CAM sensors, the MAF (twice) and coils. It has a reoccuring shudder upon acceleration between 0-25 mph and upon acceleration after slowing down (ie slowing down behind a turning car). It does NOT shudder when it is cold, only when it is warmed up. This has BAFFLED any mechanic I have taken it to .. At first mechanic thought my performance problem was the CAM sensors as there was a code for them - replaced. Alas, the shudder returned. Thought the shudder was due to the MAF (it went twice) alas, it returned. Finally, took it to a trans guy who said its the CVT transmission , that will be $5k please for a rebuilt one. Second opinion trans guy said same but to try transmission flush as a final "hail mary." I take it to the dealer who at first quotes me a price of $200 - upon them looking the car over they proclaim it will be $810 (WHAT! HOW!), audi trans fluid is LIFETIME, NEVER change it, and doing the flush has the potential of causing a lot more problems, and they actually say to me to put the $810 towards a new transmission. Nice. This is all in the last week, I have been driving it with the shudder for about 6 months. Meanwhile the shuddering has increased and the RPMs now "rev" as it is shifting. I have searched and finally found a mechanic who will do the flush for a reasonable amount with Audi fluids, and its scheduled for the appointment.

My dilema: If I get rid of it now, I take about a $4k hit on the loan I have on it. A rebuilt trans was quoted as $4k - 8k. I am scared to death that this trans is going to "go" any second. I have done a LOT of research and all signs point to the flush perhaps helping my issue .. I have also seen the opposite.

My question: Anybody have a positive experience with a transmission flush? Who do I trust - what do I do! I need peace back in my life (as well as a reliable car!) Suggestions as to another course of action?

Thank you for your time in considering my dilema! Best wishes!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

The flush will not fix your tansmission. If you want to try, do NOT go to the dealer like I did or you will have to do it yourself like I did. They do not know how and they screwed mine up (lifetime fluid, get it) go to an independant VW,Audi or even BMW mechanic it should cost about 200. Transmission fluid and filter changes are done to prevent transmission problems.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 PM

the CVT is the worst tranny from Audi... and Audi has some solid transmissions.

The flush won't work... cause there is no flush for the CVT. There is only replacing the fluid.

The CVT is common to fail at higher mileage. Only advise i can give if opt for a new one or trade the car in.