Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission issues after water leak????

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default transmission issues after water leak????

Hey guys,

I recently experienced the water leaks that filled up my passenger floor and affected my TCM. This happened because I let the car sit outside for a good 4 or 5 months without driving it. When i finally got the car out; it would not shift. I cleaned out the carpeting and dried out everything including the TCM ( it was pretty bad with corrosion). I cleaned out the corrosion with a wire brush as well as applying air with an air hose to get stuff out of the connector area. After all this; it finally started shifting again.

My problem now is that the car doesn't pick up the way a V8 (4.2) should (the way it did before this issue). When i step on the gas there is a serious delay ( the car moves but is slow as hell for a good 5 or 6 seconds before it starts to pick up ). When i am cruising at about 40 or 50 miles or more and then step on it it picks up fine, but when i am at a light and then try to take off; I get beat by honda civics and what not. It's embarrassing!

Just wondering; is this a TCM issue? Do i need to clear codes or something? I also recently replaced my fuel pump ( which went bad and was the reason i let the car sit for some time). Could it be a separate fuel pump issue ( does replacing your fuel pump interfere with a ECU upgrade - which i did a while back)? Don't mean to throw other issues into the mix but I'm just trying to locate the source of my slow pick up.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:28 PM
2nd Gear

You must completely get those terminals clean.
get corrosion cleaner spray it in there and then use contact cleaner and blow it out.
put it back together with dielectric grease.
if that does not work the tcm could be fried and or the terminals are too far gone.
is the idle ok, is the car hunting or the rpm unresponsive?
or does the transmission just not downshift?
how does the tiptronic work?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Hey Jackmup,

Thanks for the info. I will try to get it alot cleaner. The car seems to idle fine. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "is the car hunting or unresponsive"? I guess I would say that it's being unresponsive when I floor it. If i am at a light and floor the pedal; The car moves really slow for about 10 seconds before it starts to pick up.

Regarding the tiptronic; it does not work anymore when i switch over.