Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission - Please tell me I'm wrong

Old 03-08-2012, 10:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Transmission - Please tell me I'm wrong

2003 A6, 4.2 auto (of course), 110k miles, very good condition otherwise.

noticed that it seemed to be missing shifts between 1st and 2nd. only happened twice. had the tranny oil and filter changed (used Pentosin). Still does it, but very intermittently and only (it seems) under light load. Last time it happened tranny went into LIMP mode. shut off the car, waited 5 minutes and restarted, no LIMP mode. few questions, hope someone here can answer them.

1-when the shop did the oil/filter, they checked and found no tranny codes. should the codes be persistent even though it's no longer in LIMP mode?
2-I can get a tested/warranted tranny for $2600 plus $1000 installation. is it worth having the current tranny inspected/torndown/rebuilt or just bite the bullet and get the rebuilt tranny.
3-trade the car in and get something else. I found a very nice 04 S4-4.2 w/6sp manual with 100k miles.

any advice?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sttrebo
2003 A6, 4.2 auto (of course), 110k miles, very good condition otherwise.

noticed that it seemed to be missing shifts between 1st and 2nd. only happened twice. had the tranny oil and filter changed (used Pentosin). Still does it, but very intermittently and only (it seems) under light load. Last time it happened tranny went into LIMP mode. shut off the car, waited 5 minutes and restarted, no LIMP mode. few questions, hope someone here can answer them.

1-when the shop did the oil/filter, they checked and found no tranny codes. should the codes be persistent even though it's no longer in LIMP mode?
2-I can get a tested/warranted tranny for $2600 plus $1000 installation. is it worth having the current tranny inspected/torndown/rebuilt or just bite the bullet and get the rebuilt tranny.
3-trade the car in and get something else. I found a very nice 04 S4-4.2 w/6sp manual with 100k miles.

any advice?
scan the tranny again for codes. if you have no codes, i would suspect the oil level is real low. everything SHOULD throw a code. make sure you are using a device that can scan and pick up tranny codes not just engine.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

diagnosed and found fault code 17114 (gear ration monitoring, incorrect gear ratio).

independent shop said i need a new transmission, the dealership wants another $300 to investigate it and see if it's fixable without replacement.

opinions any one?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

If it still runs good enough to take to a dealer, get that S4. Manuals always last longer.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM
1st Gear

diagnosed and found fault code 17114 (gear ration monitoring, incorrect gear ratio).

independent shop said i need a new transmission, the dealership wants another $300 to investigate it and see if it's fixable without replacement.

opinions any one?
This confirms you need a tranny sooner or later. Have it rebuilt or get another car.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear

erase the codes and trade it in before it goes.

Trade it to audi maybe they can learn how to fix them one day. Why not start with yours.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

$1k trade-in with bad tranny, not even worth the time or effort.

ZF rebuilder $2950, local shop for removal/install $1300. looks like i'm taking the plunge and getting it fixed. drop-off is tomorrow. car is in sparkling condition otherwise.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:20 PM
1st Gear
Default You may save money and do it right in beginning by

check with one of few ZF distributors --> GREENLEAF
Find one near you and drive there to get advicce/quote.

Greenleaf Engines and Transmissions, Rebuilt Engine and Transmission Remanufactured, Rebuilt Engines And Rebuilt Transmissions For Your Cars, Trucks Engine, Diesels Engines, Boats Engines

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...rs/PC_dist.pdf

Last edited by bigdadi; 04-01-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

checked greenleaf's web site and they don't offer audi transmissions. but thanks for the zf list. there's 1 or 2 i'll call to double check with.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Default I think the list is for guaranteed price $996 and they

checked greenleaf's web site and they don't offer audi transmissions. but thanks for the zf list. there's 1 or 2 i'll call to double check with.
may sell you the Audi one above $996 so they don'y list in the Greenleaf page. Give them a call to clear this out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission - Please tell me I'm wrong