Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 AM
mde
1st Gear
Default Transmission shifting question

Okay

Here goes, this is my first post and secondly my knowledge of cars is extremely limited so please bear with me, and any help is greatly appreciated.

The first issue I was having was that my 1998 A6 2.8L was running extremely rough on start up and the engine light indicator was staying on and some times was even flashing. After having, the wires and coil replaced and plugs check, the issue continued. My mechanic was able to locate code 17495 as being a constant code/problem. After taking a look on the Net and in particular this forum (Thanks), I determined that the MAF was causing the issue. So; I replaced the MAF (first repair I ever did by myself) and the good news is that seems to have corrected the issue of the engine running rough.

However, here is where the next issue a raised. Over the past six months or so, I noticed that the transmission would some times not shift correctly. Nothing major, but it just did not seem right. However, after the MAF issue I have noticed that the transmissions issue is getting worse. From second to third, third to fourth and forth to fifth, there are times when the engine will rev to 3000 or even 4000 rpms. However the issue is not constant and there are times when it works just fine. Additionally when I notice the problem, I shift over to the tiptroic and have no issues in changing gears. Also, I notice it more when the car is first started, however again the problem is not consistent; some times it works just fine even when the car is just started. So is there anything that I can have check to determine what is causing the issue. My gut feeling is that there is some sort of solenoid, sensor, valve or widget that is either having intermittent issues or is potentially gummed up; any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2007, 12:42 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Transmission shifting question

Have your transmission fluid flushed. How many miles are on your vehicle? It's a common problem to have clutch material and other debris in your transmission oil. The fluid also breaks down over time and thus should be changed every 60,000 miles. I have had problems with transmissions not shifting properly, shuddering from torque convertor lock-up problems, etc. and the only solution is to flush the fluid properly and to make sure you MAINTAIN the transmission properly. Getting the repair done on a transmission (especially audi VW $3500!) is super expensive while having the fluid flused is relatively cheap. ($200 tops) Just get it done and you should be ok. If your problems aren't immediately fixed you may be too late.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:57 AM
1st Gear

If you use your tiptronic setting on your transmission often, and shift at higher RPM's like that, the computer will pick it up and drive at those conditions. It says in the manual that there is somthing like 200 different ways the transmission will shift, and if you're like me, use the manual setting alot, it will mimic the way you drive.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:13 AM
mde
1st Gear

Thanks for the quick replies.

I had the transmission fluid change back in August. Not a flush, just changed. Not sure if there is a difference. In regards to mileage, the car currently has 193K Kms or 119K miles. I got it the A6 about 20 months ago and at that time it had 116K Kms on it. When I had the transmission fluid changed, the mechanic did mentioned there was some varnish but nothing that was alarming based on the mileage. If you can let me know if a flush is different then a change I would appreciate it.

I was told that the computer does remember your style, however I do not drive the car hard, and I only use the manual setting when it seems that the auto needs a bit of help. Originally I was using the manual setting a lot more, because I use to drive a stick. But it’s not the same and after a while I just began to drive the car as an automatic.

Hope this clarifies a few things and does not indicate what deep down I was afraid of. A rebuild transmission.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

A flush and a change are very different. A change is just draining your fluid from the pan and replacing it. A flush hooks up a machine and forces quarts upon quarts of fresh oil through the system. It cleans out the fluid everywhere in the transmission, and can help remove varnish, debris, etc. Very healthy for the transmission. One of the major problems with just a fluid change is alot of people don't know to drain the torque convertor and how to properly refill it. If the torque convertor isn't drained then there will likely be 2 quarts of the old nasty fluid left in there which is just going to mix in with the new stuff. Since the TC's are generally what show the signs of a soon to be failing transmission I'd say that likely there is a bunch of built of debris and other gunk in there. Also if the torque convertor is not properly spun and filled up again the car will not act right, shift right, and will enivitably break in the very near future. If there is no fluid in a TC the car won't move because the TC won't lock up. There is a pump in the transmission for moving the oil including into the TC, but if you fill the car but neglect to realize the TC is empty, you will find a week down the road that your transmission as a whole will be 2 quarts under-filled. This is what causes serious transmission wear and breakdown. Fluid levels are very key in current day automatic and manumatic transmissions.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 PM
mde
1st Gear

Thanks reaper

Okay, it would sound as though I need to get a flush done; as they only changed the oil back in August. However, here's the 60 thousand dollar question. Where? The Audi Dealership seems to want a same fortune to do almost anything. They gave me a verbal quoted of $165.00 to change out the MAF. Which seemed a bit steep to me. However since this is the transmission do I bit the bullet and pay what the Dealership wants, as I am a bit concerned that if I get an independent shop to do it, as they may not have the needed equipment and/or due it correctly and then my problems could get a lot worse... and quickly. Any suggestions?

Thanks
mde