Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shifting problems??

Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission shifting problems??

My 99 A6 Quattro 2.8L (Auto/Tiptronic) has been having shifting problems lately. When I take left turns, the transmission seems to downshift (or maybe shift into neutral, I'm not sure which), and the RPMs jump by about 2000 RPMs for about two seconds, and then the car shifts back to normal.

Something similar also happens when I slow down very quickly: If I slow down quickly (i.e. for a stop sign) and then press the gas again when the car is maybe going less than 5 miles per hour (or 10-15 mph maybe, I think it depends on my initial speed and rate of slowing down), the car seems to downshift or shift into neutral (again, not sure which), and the RPMs jump by about 2000 RPMs for about two seconds, and then the car drives normal again.

Any diagnoses?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:41 AM
4th Gear

Sounds like somethings up with the solenoids in the tranny...they can get dirty and start to fail.... get a vag-com on it quick before something burns up.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

If that is indeed what is wrong, what can I do about it? What would the mechanic have to do and what would that cost me?

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 AM
4th Gear

really? I'd try a good flush first... not just a drain and fill, but a good cleaning flush with a machine. See if you can get the solenoids working again, they could just be sticky. You can use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The only thing is it might take a few miles to start working... If something else is wrong, it could make it worse. But, then again, if its already hosed, it cant hurt.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

There seems to be a difference of opinion on this issue, but isn't there a chance that getting a transmission flush can make my problems worse or even ruin my transmission?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Might be a dumb question but: Do you drive with one foot or two?

With the "fly by wire" set-up in the A6, it gets confused if you press on both the brake and gas at the same time...

Old 06-06-2009, 10:27 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 99A6Quattro
Something similar also happens when I slow down very quickly: If I slow down quickly (i.e. for a stop sign) and then press the gas again when the car is maybe going less than 5 miles per hour (or 10-15 mph maybe, I think it depends on my initial speed and rate of slowing down), the car seems to downshift or shift into neutral (again, not sure which), and the RPMs jump by about 2000 RPMs for about two seconds, and then the car drives normal again.
Forgive me for intruding, but what you describe here is improper driving. These are little things that kill the transmissions: not coming to a complete stop and then expecting the car to jump back to speed right away; backing up and shifting into drive before it comes fully to a stop; etc.
You cannot also expect with a manual to come to a stop in 4th gear, and then release the clutch to pick up speed again without stalling the car.
Any automatic car will have a normal hesitation if you come to a stop, but you don't fully and completely stop it - that below 5mph you talk about, and then try to take off hard.
However, that jump in the RPMs is not a good sign.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:02 PM
4th Gear

^^ Agreed.. could be that. The tranny is expecting to come to a stop, but doesnt... BTW, You should actually stop at stop signs

I only mention the solenoids 'cause I once had a car do the exact same thing. I chased it for awhile until the tranny went into limp mode. 'Solenoid A Circuit'... chased that for awhile, and $150 for parts and 3 full tranny drops (on my back in a dirt driveway ), I found a chaffed wire..... oh well. Anyway, this sounds the same... So, solenoids, chaffed wires, dirty tranny, dirty connectors, or, maybe like Chefro says, bad driving habits.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Chefro- I actually thought about that point for a bit, but no other car that I have ever driven does the same thing. My previous car didn't have a problem with my driving, and neither do any of the cars my family owns. Additionally, if the problem was me stopping too quickly, how would you explain the car doing the same thing when I take left turns (no matter how fast or slow I take them)? Also, no I do not drive with two feet, I use one.

So do you recommend a tranny flush? I'm afraid that the tranny flush could ruin my car, since I heard from many sources that it could end up wrecking the transmission. Also, what would a transmission flush cost me?

Thanks for all the input, everyone.