Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission will only work in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Default Transmission will only work in reverse

I just purchased an Audi that has one major problem - the tranny will only go in reverse! The vehicle has 80,000 miles.It is an A6, 2.7T, 2000. I suspect this may be an electrval issue. Do you have any ideas whi the cause this might be?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Transmission will only work in reverse

No idea. But you should be easy to spot on the interstate. We'll all wave at you.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

You're not very "mart" are you? Why would you buy an Audi that only drove in reverse? Makes me wonder how much you paid or it. Obviously you're going to need a new tranny.
It's not an electrical issue, nor could it be. You kicked yourself in the **** for even picking it up knowing the tranny was out.
Grrrrr how nieve can people be? [:@]

Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Actually the transmission is probably just fine, but someone put the body on backwards. The fact that your engine is in the trunk should have been your first clue. [:-]

I'm guessing you will need a new tranny. And not the type of tranny you see walking by the railroad tracks after dark either (haha)....the kind with at least 5 forward gears AND reverse.

You might be able to have a Transmission shop look at yours and they could possibly rebuild it, but in any case expect a few grand to magically leave your pocket if you want your car to actually be useful.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Without knowing if you have a stick or auto, there's really no way to help you.

But, in a nutshell:

Stick: you're screwed.
Automatic: you're likely just as screwed*

* = Ok, someone who is a lot smarter than I am might be able to answer this question: If it's a Tip transmission, would there be some sort of electical failure mode that could trick the transmission into always being in neutral except when it's put in reverse?
So there's no mechanical failure, but a computer failure (which I realize might mean tearing into the transmission anyway, but is it at least possible?)

Not to parrot the other posters, but you had better have gotten one hell of a deal on the car to take it on with this problem.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission only works in reverse

You folks are scary. Actually, there may not be anything wrong with the transmission. My 2002 A6 2,76t is doing the same thing after I pull the enging out to teplace the left turbocharger. I didn"t do any work on the tranney. I suspect that someone disconnected the ECU and deactivate the Transmission Control Module. It's located under the carpet on the passenger side. Either that or moisture or water got into the TCU. Simply disconnect and reconnect it back and see what happen. I suspect your tranney is good; these tranney usually last a long time. Let me know how you make out.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:45 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by nembhard01
You folks are scary. Actually, there may not be anything wrong with the transmission. My 2002 A6 2,76t is doing the same thing after I pull the enging out to teplace the left turbocharger. I didn"t do any work on the tranney. I suspect that someone disconnected the ECU and deactivate the Transmission Control Module. It's located under the carpet on the passenger side. Either that or moisture or water got into the TCU. Simply disconnect and reconnect it back and see what happen. I suspect your tranney is good; these tranney usually last a long time. Let me know how you make out.
Holy thread resurrection. You have been a forum member for nearly a year and you finally post your first comment and it is to a 6 year old thread where the OP has never posted again?