Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Choose the options that suits your opinion: (you may choose multiple)
I say my C6 A6 is the best car I've ever owned.
16.67%
I didn't buy the PPP warranty, and I am fine with it.
0%
I didn't buy the PPP, but wish I did.
16.67%
I've had MINIMAL problems with this car.
44.44%
I've had NO problems with this car.
5.56%
I've had A LOT of problems with this car.
16.67%
In my opinion I would recommend this car to you.
11.11%
In my opinion I would NOT recommend this car to you.
22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

The Truth about Audis. All Should Comment

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 PM
1st Gear
Question The Truth about Audis. All Should Comment

Hey guys,

Well, I decided to write this. I see (and everyone else see's) a ton of problems. I know that's the purpose of this forum, is to exchange help. I am in the process of looking for a new car. It's a 2005 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro. has 60,000 miles. The guy who owned it is a network engineer, and babies the car. the entire car is shining, the interior doesn't have a single scratch, he don't smoke, don't beat on the car. It has a small chip in the windshield and hood. (probably from a bouncing rock.)

My father is all about the no maintenance / no work type deal. And from what i understand, you can't even change the brakes on these cars yourselves. I need to find out some core information, the truth about maintenance on these cars. (Nothing less than a C6.) I have posted a couple questions about what you guys think on this car im looking to buy, and I've got some good feedback, but now I want a lot more.

Anyways, back to the point. i want to reach out to all you C6 owners. Every one. Even if you never post on this forum and just come to read, I'd just like you to take a couple minutes and explain your experience with a C6. Name a couple problems you've had and a couple good things. I think this would be a great post for more than just myself.

Learning is the best thing anyone can do, and if you take a couple minutes and write down some experiences and share some knowledge I'm sure not only myself, but other soon-to-be owners would appreciate this a lot.

P.S-----

I'm still looking to have some information on this audi. The VIN is:

WAUDG74F45N110514

Some guys told me that it missed the "important 55k maintenance" I know the MMI is 10.4, the coil packs were just replaced, and he's had all the warranty stuff taken care of up until his warranty expired last year. A lot of guys have told me the PPP (Pure protection plan) is worth it, but I don't see it since I am not hard on the car at all, I am young and drive like i'm old. I dont ram on the gas (that often So I have a hard time believing I will be needing it. I live in the Pittsburgh area and I see hundreds of audis driving around.. How many problems can there be?

Once I get all the feedback i can, I will make a nice final post with all the pro's and con's of the C6's for maybe the mod team to sticky.

Thanks guys, and please, leave your 2 cents (hopefully you leave 10!)

Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

I drive a 2001 a6 2.7t. I believe that maintenance is the most important part of owning any car. I am concerned that it hasn't had the 55K mileage. I think the timing belt is part of that repair. Owning an audi is expensive, the parts are by no means cheap, and most repairs can rack up big on labor. Knowing how to wrench can really bring costs down, but be prepared to be frustrated and burst a vein.

Other than that, an a6 is just a machine like any other car and can be taken apart and serviced. There is a lot of electronic stuff though, so owning VAGCOM is a must.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

People often come to message boards for help or to vent. I've had my 01 A6 4.2 for 3 years and 40,000 miles. The car currently has 127,000 miles. Other than maintenance (timing belt, oil changes, transmission oil and filter change) and replacing wear items (brake pads, tires, battery), I've only had one issue; a tensioner on the acessory belt failed.

An Audi is not a car you can ignore and abuse, but it is a better ride and more fun to drive than those you can.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Thumbs up all weather lux which respects good service.

Amazingly virtually all other makers in this class or want to be in this class...use the A6 C6 as a benchmark car and for good reasons. It does several of the most important things better then anyone else in the world!

When serviced as recommended, the C6 4.2 or 3.2FSI and 3.0T have few complaints... as your survey is starting to show. IMO, very few people would change to anything else except me..I'd like a http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/models/r8.html

Last edited by mystrodo; 07-24-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: R8 link
Old 07-24-2010, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

Keep in mind one thing ... if you want information about a car .. do enough research to get on the right forum .. my apologies that did sound a bit harsh as this forum covers all A6's but perhaps you want a website that breaks down the models further so oyu can get more detail on the generation you are buying ..

Last edited by Theiceman; 07-25-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:31 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Theiceman
Keep in mind one thing ... if you want information about a car .. do enough research to get on the right forum
I was thinking the same thing. Only 2 of the people who responded to this thread own a C6. Approximately 90% of the members on this forum own a C5. In contrast, Audiworld has a dedicated C6 forum. Perhaps you want to ask the same question on AW.

Last edited by Kevin; 07-25-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

It can be expensive to own an A6. I paid $14.5K for a 2000 2.7 back in 2005 and it's probably had $12-14K worth of repairs done on it in the last 5 years. It's always something and it's usually expensive. I like the car, but I probably wouldn't buy another one....Im sure I wouldn't buy another one.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

my 2000 2.7 T has 170,000 miles, only major thing that has needed fixing is the blower motor

Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear

I almost answered your poll but I have a C5. It is absolutely one of my favorite cars ever, even with 172k miles. I replaced the alternator, clutch/flywheel, and front axle boots. Still on oem shocks and battery. Chipped at 75k and all regular maintenance done including TB at 95k. Mobil1 0W-40 every 7-8k. Liked the Audi so much I purchased a 2003 A4 3.0 MT6 for my daughter and other than a persistent CEL, it runs fantastic.