Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
1st Gear
Default turbo replacement

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and have been impressed with some of the q and a's. But now I've joined because I need some advice. I have astock04 A6 2.7L Tip, Quattro with 62k. I brought the car in to the dealer for MIL-P3081 and some other minor things. It is still under extended warranty. My servicerep tells me the turbos need to be changed. That's the bad news. The good news is, I only pay my warranty deductable of $50.00 and he will install anything I want once the engine is pulled. Of course, I pay for any parts I supply. So, my questions are: do I go for better than OE turbos? if so who's? I think I will have them install the "piggy" dp's. what about timing belt/water pump? Do I need to upgrade injectors if I go with a "larger" turbo and reprogrammed ecu? Any suggestions for a better exhaust and CAIsystem? I would love to take this oppurtinity to drive to the dealer with a trunkfull of goodies next week so they can upgrade my ride. I'm very familiar with diesel truck performance but feel out of my element here. Help please.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:11 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: turbo replacement

Probaly want to do the timing belt and associated parts while its apart.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:19 AM
1st Gear

From all accounts the K04 is a more reliable turbo than the stock K03. To extract the most performance, you will need bigger injectors and an ECU reprogram. The resulting power increase is going to stress your torque converter/tranny and may cause failure. You can run K04s without other changes.

Be sure to upgrade you oil lines to your turbos.

A full TB service should be a lot less at this time.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:01 PM
2nd Gear

Your dealer is going to lie to you about pulling out your engine..... This is used to raise the risk aka the price. I was REALLY REALLY PISSED when my engine wasn't pulled... I was thinking the samething with doing the timing belt. EPIC FAIL. I was able to get my dealer to do my piggies and he was willing to put on the exhaust for free, because they remove those parts to get too your turbos. I blew my turbos 2 weeks ago replacing them withRS4 Ko4's. Then sent my ECU away last thursday to GIAC/AWE-Tuning. WARNING! if your car is a tipronic (like mine)you will only be able to only do stage 3 minus unless you change a tranny part which cost 1K not including fueling/cams ect. If you don't upgrade your program for your Ko4's or larger turbos it is pointless. :P The turbos will run the same throttle power ect... The program its self cost $650-800. If you do get the program and are running higher boost you will need an intercooler aswell. It is almost a have to.

Currently at stage 3-On 93 octane the car will produce around420-440 Crankhorsepower......320-350 WHP with around 400+ torque. Watch this boat goooo baby!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

Thanks everyone.

Timing belt, water pump, etc.
The piggies are a no brainer- and the rest of the exhaust as well.
K04's are more reliable and allow for more available power. Probably will do.
ECU upgrade makes the most of the K04's. will do
Intercooler and oil lines are for the best.
Injectors and cams optional- I don't think that I want to go that far into the engine.

As for tranny upgrades-Is the torque converter upgraded or the valve body or both?
What about the diverter valve I keep hearing about?

I'd like to keep this car for a while and it is my daily driver so I need it to last. Dropping a few $k doesn't bother me now. What I don't want is to drop another $10k next year.
Now, where do I get all this stuff?

Old 05-26-2008, 01:48 PM
2nd Gear

You seem like me... I did all these upgrades and just wanted to have a quick *** daily driver. Def get diverters(around $250.00-$300.00 for 2), look into the bi-pipe aswell which replaces the plastic throttle body boot. I got my Ko4's, inlets and the hardware kit from Vast performance($3000.00) or you can order them from AWE-Tuning. Ihave gotten parts from Prince with Vast and John/Mike with AWE... All good guys butI find awe-tuning to be more business like (turbo kit-->>&gt http://vastperformance.com/shop/prod...products_id=42Other than these 3 parts you will need a Bosh fuel pressure pump($210.00) (which i got from AWE or request from Vast), and ECU programing(giac$799 or Vast $650). AWE has the ecu programing and are really tight with GIAC.... Vast is great but they never have anything in stock. For an intercooler i went with the AWE design... the numbers were just to great for me not to go for them... http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...20intercoolersYou gain almost 30-40 WHEEL HORSEPOWER. Putting your Stage 3minus car at 400-440 HP aka 320-350 WHP / 420 torque

$3000.00 - Turbo Kit / inlets / hardware
$ 300.00 - DV's
$ 210.00 - Bosh Fuel Pump
$ 800.00 - GIAC ECU program
$1300.00 - AWE intercooler
________
$5610.00
$1100-$2000 - Instal

^
I am 20 and blew my turbos and had to come up with the money to do all that :-X!

A couple more options like i said are the APR bi-pipe (http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/bipipe.html)/ Snub mount(http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/engine_mount.html) ....

I can tell you personally when I get my car back tomorrow how EVERYTHING runs that I listed above. OHHH! and i know there is no power gain when just putting the turbos in because I drove it for work for a week.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

The stock Tiptronic/TC will not handle 400+ crank HP if you drive hard. (nor the stock clutch if you have a 6 speed for that matter)

Old 05-26-2008, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear

They made stage 3 minus so your tranny in a tiptronic would be able to handle the power... aswell the tip chip helps on stress.

OH! and your prob going to want some Genuine RS4 Engine Mounts

Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

I love this forum!!

wammy18, you may be my new best friend. thanks to all for the advice.

I am a borg warner dealer so I may be able to get a deal on the turbos. I just need to get a shopping list for everything else. The dealer that is doing the work is an APR dealer and may sell accordingly. However, AWE seems like an impressive outfit. I think I may go
APR so I have a matched and properly tuned entire setup. This sound very familiar to me being a Banks dealer for diesel performance.

Next to you wammy, I am the one most eagerly waiting the results of your upgrades. I hope all goes well.
Next call is to the dealer to verify what they will do with my new K03 turbos that Audi will supply and the cores.

Add RS4 engine mounts to the list. My wife is going to kill me. That is, if she can catch me in the new ride with her minivan

Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 PM
2nd Gear

hahahahahahah My dad hasn't driven my car since I got it stock!!! He just knows haha.... They all get there turbos from Born Warner dealer aswell, because I had them just send itstraight from thedealer. Ohhh and you can sell your turbos for 200-500 bucs pending on how many miles are on them. It is very good that you have a pair of turbos aswell because you need both turbos when selling or replacing, you might of found out the hard way like me . I will keep you posted. OH APR software doesn't support stage3 minus! They try to do things there way... which GIAC and VAST let you not mess with the fueling, tranny part! I am shooting for 11's 12's 0-60 mph 4-4.5secs

****Just a heads up! I just found out today for the GIAC program you NEED the bosch MAF and it won't work on a Hitachi MAF Sensor. If you have hitachi I would go with Vast they can hook you up Let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: turbo replacement