Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: turbo replacement

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! I got my car back today and WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.... First time i hit the peddle it felt like i went from that 1997 Jeep to the a6 again... but this time a a6 to a rs6+ ! Tt took 30 mins - an hour for the car to get use to the chip but when it did I was able to punch it! and when I did.... WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all i can say... I am almost scared of the power my car puts out now with stage 3 minus program... I would def do it !!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
2nd Gear

I'm wondering if somebody stated that turbos could be successfully replaced with the engine on the car?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

Whatare the tranny upgrades neededto make it able to hold more power? Also even if I only do some modest changes to the HP on my car would getting the tranny upgrade help make it last longer?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: nemohm

I'm wondering if somebody stated that turbos could be successfully replaced with the engine on the car?

They tell you they have to pull the engine. LIESSSSSSSSSSSSS.. I saw my car with the turbos pulled and he did it from under the body. He told me he would have to take the engine out BS. He removed the exhaust/downpipes/cats to get too the turbo. If you find a local trustworthly place they will give you reduced time... but I just didn't want the risk and went to audi. ;p

I did ZERO tranny upgrades... all i currently have to help the tranny a little is the TIP CHIP... I haven't felt any harshness on the tranny so far and is work AMAZING!!!!!!! with my tipronic... I laugh when i hit it!!! Hitting a 100 was nothing... UP HILL

Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Site Moderator

The engine has to be at least lowered down about 1 ft to get the turbos out, which requires a rack and a table jack.
Now this is coming from someone that has replaced about 20 sets of them.........Me. You can't remove the turbos by just un-bolting them from under the car. Now you could either cut the living hell out of the subframe with a plasma torch to get them out or lower it on a table jack to get them out, other than that its NOT POSSIBLE!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear

I just saw the audi guy doing it from below

Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

Well, the dealer is covering the replacement under warranty so it isn't costing anything except my$50.00 deductable and they are giving me a loner for the week. That said, Wammy, I'm grinning ear to ear over the outcome of your project. Mainly because I'm anticipating what mine will be like. Congrats, I'm glad you like it. I've seen that response in some of my customers when they get thier trucks back and it is great to see. I'm actually considering rs6 turbos now. I'm waiting to hear back from Borg Warner on price and availibility.
As for the trans, I spoke with a number of trans experts. One suggested I send him the whole trans for complete overhaul. Gears, torque converter, valve body, etc.and NO tcu programming. Another who works on performance diesel trannys (who has a vw tdi 1.8) said the tip trans is actually very tough and probably just needs some programming to increasethe line pressures and shift points. The shop that is tuning the car, www.autospeed.us,
suggested just the torque converter, if anything, and definately tcu programming.The dealer doing the turbos agreed with autospeed. I think I will just do the t.c. If the trans fails, I wont be out financially except for the tow bill and inconvienence. We also may take this time to experiment on the best course of action for tip trannys with +\- 470Hp and 490lb\ft of torque to the ground. This type of real world R&D is how we find out what works and what doesn't. We will be sure to let everyone know what we found. I think a complete trans overhaul is only going to be necessary if the engine is making crazy power like 600Hp or higer and it needs hard parts to keep up as well. ie cam, connecting rods, pistons ect. I'm not going there.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:25 AM
2nd Gear

def going to need the torque converter at some point for stage3+, and dude... in my a6 i beat a evo8 or 9 last night! He didn't even try off the line hahahah..... my friend has a m3 / srt-4... they took a ride in my car and all they could say is omg omg omg OHHH MAN go for the rs6's but check on programing what boost would be, and horse power peak. If your horsepower is closer to 450 you def are going to need a stronger torque converter. I heard you can send your engine away to lvl 10 or take it to the dealer. All i know is my baby is running great with 410-430 HP . It is worth rolling it out to the track

Ohhh and I could only imagen going stage 3+ after driving stage3- :-X!!!! The car is currently running 16-20 PSI

Old 05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Would there really be a big advantage to upgrading the ko4's to the RS6 Turbos? Aren't they both audi performance turbos and therefore almost the same? Also would the RS6 turbos even work on a 2.7 cause aren't they from the 4.2?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:41 PM
2nd Gear

The ko6's would work on the 2.7T... but trigger have you seen ko4's next to ko6's..... they just look like they did a custom job on the exhaust.. I have the same theory on some of the things you said.

Quick Reply: turbo replacement