Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:04 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Turn Signals

I have seen turn signals issues and did search the forum before posting. My situation appears that it may be unique. Recently, both my turn signal indicator on my dashboard cluster and turn signals themselves quit working. To be more specific, I turn my left turn signal on and the dashboard indicator no longer lights (you can see a faint glow at night) while the right turn signal dash indicator does continue to work. Around the same time, my turn signals themselves started working intermittently. Most of the time when I use either the right or left, they light but there is no flashing. I checked the bulbs and all is good. Even took it to the dealership who claimed my turn signals were fine it's just that I couldn't see the indicator on the dash....so I need new dash cluster. Duh! Wouldn't you know the turn signals worked perfectly while they had it but shortly after I got it back they aren't working. I had asked that they replace the turn signal relay which I understand also works the hazards (has not yet been replaced). The hazards work 100% of the time while the turn signals don't work two thirds of the time. I can sometimes hit the 4 ways which will jump start the turn signals for a short while. Out of the blue, the turn signals will work for a week straight with no problem like it likes to do at the dealership. My concern is that I have a deeper problem. Seems coincidental the dashboard turn signal indicator and turn signals all began to malfunction at once. The dash indicator never works regardless of whether the turn signals are functioning or not. Sometimes the turn signals will begin working out of the blue and I'll hear what sounds like a something "shorting out" (few audible clicks like sticking to live wires together) then the signals will quit again. Could it be as simple as the turn signal relay causing all of this or is there as I fear something larger?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

I neglected to include the car information on my first post. It's a 04 S-Line with 46k. Car just hit 5 years on the road this month. I've had a great deal of issues for the age and mileage. Car does remain under CPO. I just typically have issues with the dealership fixing things so I like to educate myself as much as possible going in.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM
3rd Gear

Start with replacing the turn signal relay. I'm assuming that it is (equivalent to) the little silver cylinder like you find on older American cars. I would not know where to look for it on an Audi. I've had them fail or work erratically over the years. The other cause has been bad bulbs. That's the simple and obvious stuff to replace first. If it's in the turn indcator stalk or wiring, then it will be tougher to troubleshoot and fix. Can't help there.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear

Yep- do the relay first then check the bulb sockets for oxidation. Pull the bulbs and press them back in. while they are out check for continuity with an ohm meter.

Check the fuses.

Next look at the grounds on the left side.

If all that checks out they will probably pull the stalk apart.