Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Poster,,, Can Anyone Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Default UK Poster,,, Can Anyone Please Help.

hi guys, can ne1 please help me with some problems i have been having. i recently bought an audi A6 2.5tdi avant (1999) from my father who has since bought another newer audi. i am having problems with the vehicles power, some time ago my father had a problem with this only it was allot worse than it was now and as far as iknow it was something needed cleaned or something caus eit was full of dirt.

the problem i am having is this,, when you accelerate to take over it seems to be lacking in power, first gear is good, second gear is just ok, but when you go in to third gear it goes to 3.000 revs and then quickly stops for a split second and then goes again (allot of smoke from rear) and when it does go it is quite spluttery and defnitly is allot slower than it shoul be. fourth and fifth and sixth gear are brilliant, so the problem only seems to happen in 3rd.. have you guys any idea what the problem could be.... i wuld appreciate some help and would be very gratefull..

also is can anyone recomend someone that works on audis n the merseyside area as i cant really afford to pay audis prices... my car before this was a citroen xanta 1995 with 150.000 miles on the clock, it was cheap to run and parts were cheap. i had this car nearly four years and never had a minutes bother with it. i hope the audi is as good.[/align]

Old 01-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Default RE: UK Poster,,, Can Anyone Please Help.

does the MIL/CEL light up?? A6 2.5tdi are brain dead on power are you expecting too much??

Old 01-07-2007, 07:23 PM

i could possibly be expecting to much from this car. but i dont think i am, there is just something that doesnt feel right.. no lights are coming on, on the dash,

When i was home at christmas and had a drive in his new 2004 A6 tdi avant,, what a completly different car, much more refined its amazing what a couple of years does to techoligy, this newer model is much much quicker as well, i believe there was a few modifications t the engine..

Old 01-08-2007, 05:32 AM
1st Gear

My 1.9TDi had the same problem, it turned out to be the MAF sensor in the airbox.
I changed it and it was like someone had dropped a new engine in.

Phil

Old 01-08-2007, 08:56 PM

what kind of money did you pay for the sensor, did you get it fitted in an audi garage.
i was driving today and it seems to be ok now for some reason. did it come and go in your car or was it always there.
thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

The C6 A6 3.0TDI is a completely new engine and has common rail and 60 plus more ponies. I presume yours is without the red I (in other words a 150HP version with distributor pump). It sounds like nothing serious is wrong - get a mechanic with a VAG-COM to check for any odd codes.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

My MAF sensor cost me £65 from Andrew Page, it is a re-con unit but has a 1 year guarantee.
I fitted it myself in about twenty minutes. I did a little test first to see if that was causing the problem, I removed the original and sprayed some switch cleaner solvent on the fine wire inside the sensor, once it has dried out again I tested the car and it was better but had a flat spot, so I decided to change the sensor.
These are exchange units so you will have to take the old one back in for a refund of your deposit.

Phil

Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

Just had another thought.
You mentioned smoke in your original post, is it actually smoke or is it like a white mist of unburt diesel you can see. (and smell)
My old Audi 80 1.9 TDi used to have an intermittent misfire accompanied by a white plume from the rear, it only did it every few weeks and Audi could not detect the problem, it was a friend who works for a diesel repair centre who told me to replace injector number three.
The injector has a sensor which works in conjunction with another one on the crank, to tell the pump how much to advance its timing as you accelerate, the injector sensor occasionally faulted out, and the electrickery puts the system into a "get you home" mode, hence the poor performance.
Once the injector was replaced all was well again, cost around £100, fitted it myself.

Phil