Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent help needed! terrible noise at idle when warm!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Default Urgent help needed! terrible noise at idle when warm!

Recently bought a 2001 a6 2.7t that has been perfect right up until I took a long road trip (1000 miles or so).

The car sounds normal during start up and warm up but when fully warm and idling it makes quite a loud racket which I know is not good.

I have so far ruled out throw-out bearing as clutch engagement makes no difference.

looking towards timing belt/tensioner, chain tensioners?

during the noisy video its hard to tell but there is a more chain type rattle at the back of the motor in addition to the louder noise up front. Ill try using my better camera when I regain access to it.

I'm going to try an oil change and pray but I'm highly doubtful.

thanks!
http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=MOV01209.flv

Old 02-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Default Mine is doing it too

Damn!... That sounds bad. Could be a water pump, messed up pulley bearing, a bad cam chain guide. You have to isolate the noise. moving around too much with the camera it's hard to say. Get a hose and find exactly pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Don't get scared. Sometimes big nasty noises are cause by stupid simple little things. Happens to me all the time. Mine has a chain rattle type sound. But only when I tap the gas (press and release pedal quickly).b The RPM's go up to 2500 and when the engine settles to idle you hear a chain type rattle for a split second. Idles normal. Sounds like theres an exhaust leak somewhere...but there is no leak.
On cold start up, the car does rattle a second.
I removed both valve covers. The guides look normal and intact. There is no visible damage. The chains don't feel loose. I wiggled them with my fingers. They are pretty tight.
I have been driving like this for almost two years. Chain rattle sound when you let your foot off the gas and car returns to idle...that is exactly when you hear it for a split second before at about 1000 rpm.

It drives me crazy. Does it hot or cold. No engine codes. Car drives normal. So is there any way I can be sure the cam ahft adjuster is bad? It is mechanical. And is there a way to swap it out without removing the entire front end and timing components? I just installed a new timing belt and sold my cam shaft locking tool afterwards.

Last edited by Site_Administrator; 02-12-2010 at 01:34 PM.