Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 steering rack trouble - help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 PM
1st Gear
Talking V8 steering rack trouble - help

Hello, I'm new here and I need a little help. I have a 2000 A6 4.2 with the steering rack almost out, and the almost is the problem. The only bolt left is the one holding the rack from the bottom. I can't see it or feel it. I tried to remove the little heat shield below it but there seems to be one more bolt on that as well. I have not removed the exhaust and really hope I do not have to. Any one done this? Have a picture of the rack removed? My manual glosses this over like it's nothing. HELLLLP.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear

First, put the heat shield back.
Next get about 24" of extensions with a wobble extension on the end.
Now, working from the driver's side wheel well, work the socket on the extensions up from below between the exhaust and the transmission up to the bottom of the steering rack.
Get a mechanic's mirror and insert it in the tie rod clearance hole and position it so you can see the bolt head. Use a flashlight for illumination.
Now, work the socket onto the bolt. You can do it!
Once the bolt is out, throw it away. If you think getting it out is tough, try getting it back in! The other bolts are sufficient to hold the rack in place.

Good luck!

Bob

Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Bob. I removed the exaust downpipe which is huge by the way. It totally blocked any access with a long extension at least on a v8 car. (naturally I could be wrong, hats off to anyone skipping this step). Then it was easy to remove the bolt and then the rack. I am about to go put the new one in and I have wisely started by opening a Trader Joes vienna style beer to calm me prior to the replacement surgery and minimize tool throwing. I took a picture showing the view from the bottom of the car and it just shows a black hole where the bolt is. Seems like a good illustration to post in a DIY. It demonstrates how evil the engineers were. We shall see if I put back the third bolt or not!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:03 AM
1st Gear

Third bolt went in fine, Should have started the 22mm return banjo bolt prior to sliding the rack all the way in though. That was tough to start.