Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valley Pan Gasket; Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 AM
4th Gear

Ya.. your there and ready, might as well take'em off. Good chance to see inside anyways.

I was thinking (oops): Do you have access to a good machine shop there? If so, you might wanna take them in and have them do a 'clean up mill' where they resurface the head mating surface for better sealing and maybe a 'reconditioning valve job' where they basically clean them up, re-seat 'em, clean up the guides, and put new seals on. Doesnt take new valves, but you will get most of the benefits of new. Dunno what the cost would be, but not much, figure prolly ~$100-120 a head, depending. I could be lying though, been awhile.

edit: No.. polishing the intake would'nt have any effect other than looks.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear

Damn, I'm so close yet so far; It looks like I'm in a pickle...

The headbolts on this car are "old style", and they require a HEX Socket.
(8mm? 10 mm? 12 mm? - The DIY I have mentions what "tools are needed", but it doesn't specify the size when reaching the "removing head bolts" part)

Name:  054-headbolt.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  29.5 KB

I'm pretty sure all the head bolts I scoured so far online are semi-flushed HEX Ball looking ones.

Should I just call a parts store and ask, or you guys know if it is ok to buy the "newer" style? Would the size be the same as the old ones and fit accordingly?

Thanks much for any ideas.

Last edited by chefro; 04-15-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:37 PM
3rd Gear

Well, I called an Audi dealer... they want $ 7 for a head bolt, part number :
078 103 385J.

Looking up the part number online, it comes back as the same "newer" style showing in the pic above.
I haven't played in a long time chess, but this looks like a stalemate to me, right now.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Ya.. your there and ready, might as well take'em off. Good chance to see inside anyways.

I was thinking (oops): Do you have access to a good machine shop there? If so, you might wanna take them in and have them do a 'clean up mill' where they resurface the head mating surface for better sealing and maybe a 'reconditioning valve job' where they basically clean them up, re-seat 'em, clean up the guides, and put new seals on. Doesnt take new valves, but you will get most of the benefits of new. Dunno what the cost would be, but not much, figure prolly ~$100-120 a head, depending. I could be lying though, been awhile.

edit: No.. polishing the intake would'nt have any effect other than looks.
+1 You have come so far that it would be a shame not to do this while the heads are out of the car. At least get the heads re-surfaced. You should see a nice performance improvement like I did on my Civic way back when.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
4th Gear

Victor Reinz A3031-86745 is the kit number. Need two. Found a site that has them @ $63 plus shipping for 2 (16 bolts).

They are PolyDrive. Some I've seen are 'reversed PolyDrive' that take a socket. Others have been Triple Square, while some have been Torx... all depends.

http://www.autopartsworld.com/audi_p...bolt/1995.html

edit: NM, you found a cheaper place.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:24 PM
3rd Gear

You're great guys. Tks for the support and ideas.

It looks like my head bolts are obsolete... It was an "intermediary" period when they made some 12-pt bolts, indeed. Now, I guess all the head bolts come in the poly-drive style.
By the way, mines are "Torx"...I don't know why I said "HEX". I damn know Hex = Allen.
So I was able to find the only set of sockets available at AutoZone . The socket is a 14 metric (THANK God I found it).

Anyway, I came across another good source for head bolts that also sells the poly-drive socket bit: http://www.germanautoparts.com/Audi/A6/Engine/21/1
If don't find a better deal, I'll order tonight the 2 sets and the socket bit.
I would hate to pay more at a different place just for the tool.

Tomorrow is the big day, as today something else came up and I wasn't able to do any work on the car. As soon as I get the exhausts removed, the heads are coming out.
I'll try to inquire around if there's a shop that can resurface the heads and maybe clean the valves, although I doubt that there's a shop in my town.
The intake polishing depends on how much elbow grease I have left in me after completing all the other jobs...LOL

Oh damn, almost forgot:
any of you used silicone vacuum hose instead of the "oem" braided style?
If yes, is it any better?

Thanks again guys.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
4th Gear

Silicon is suppose to withstand heat and oil better, but I dont know. When we used it at the factory (maintenance manager), it didnt seem to fair any better for air/vacuum. For hot fluids, sure. They also aren't as flexible, regardless of what they say. But, for the same price, its a wash.

Oh, Hex is raised, Allen is sunken.

Last edited by Midniteoyl; 04-15-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: stoopid kybd can't spell...
Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 PM
4th Gear

Ok.. you get the heads off?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:22 AM
3rd Gear

Jim,
I had to work all day long so I didn't have time for the car. Tomorrow afternoon I gotta do it, since Saturday we suppose to get rain again...

I'll fetch you some pics as promised, no worries.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:10 AM
4th Gear

Heh..

Tonight...Clear. Lows in the lower 30s. East winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the southeast after midnight.

Friday...Sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

Friday Night...Clear in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Not as cool. Lows in the lower 40s. South winds around 5 mph.

Saturday...Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the upper 40s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday...Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers. Highs around 60.

Sunday Night...Showers likely. Lows around 40. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Quick Reply: Valley Pan Gasket; Head Gaskets