Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve cover

Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Default valve cover

Hello. I think I finally know how to post a thread! I wish to remove the valve cover on the driver side of my 1996 A6 2.8 (not quattro). In addition to the allen head bolts, there is a hose connection and two small hex bolts for a bracket. Shouldn't I be able to squeeze the hose connection collar and pull off the hose or is there a special trick or tool I need. I do not wish to break the hose. Any suggestions. I am hoping I just need to replace the cover gasket. thanks for any help or ideas. the car has 226k on it and have had it since 1999.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bluerivet
Hello. I think I finally know how to post a thread! I wish to remove the valve cover on the driver side of my 1996 A6 2.8 (not quattro). In addition to the allen head bolts, there is a hose connection and two small hex bolts for a bracket. Shouldn't I be able to squeeze the hose connection collar and pull off the hose or is there a special trick or tool I need. I do not wish to break the hose. Any suggestions. I am hoping I just need to replace the cover gasket. thanks for any help or ideas. the car has 226k on it and have had it since 1999.
That's the breather hose on the back of the cover. You should be able to do exactly as you already said it: squeeze the collar and pull the hose out. It comes off at the other end the same way (if you need to clean it/or clean them both.
The bracket with two bolts in the back (driver side) is for the camshaft sensor.

Edit
about the breather hoses: Actually if I recall right I pulled mine straight out after squeezing and breaking the first collar.
Didn't make the same mistake for the other end, or for the other hose. They should come out without a problem.
If they don't give in easily try to rotate them gently left-right at the end.

Last edited by chefro; 08-20-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
3rd Gear

FYI, breather hoses tend to become really brittle with age. Just be careful.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the comeback, Chefro. Regarding the sensor bolts, am I correct in that I will have to remove them to get the cover off? I do not wish to get involved with tensioning or anything like that. My plan is just to replace the cover gasket and if that does not solve the problem, I will see the mechanic regarding any seal and tensioner issues.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 PM
3rd Gear

The valve cover should come off without the need of removing either the sensor , or the bracket.
Also, even if you remove the sensor I doubt you'll have any tensioning issues since it's an electro-magnetic signaling device. It doesn't come in actual/physical contact with the camshaft.

If your 1996 2.8 C4 non-quattro is a 12V, then you don't have any tensioning issues whatsoever. If you have the 30V, then maybe you have 2 camshafts per cyl head.
I'm pretty lame in terms of knowing what years had what models beyond this 1995 I have....LOL

Attached Thumbnails valve cover-camsensor.jpg  

Last edited by chefro; 08-20-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Default '97 Avant 2.8L 12V oil leak below cam plug and hall sensor

Chefro -- getting the valve covers off my car was easy. But I seem to be weeping oil from the bottom of the plastic cam plug which faces the firewall(passenger side) and at the bottom of the Hall sensor (driver side). How do I remove the plastic cap w/o ring (passenger side)? Is removing the Hall sensor (driver side) to keep it from weeping likely to be a tough job for a shadetree mechanic like me? Maybe I better just replace the valve cover gasket and hope for the best. But if it's no big deal top go the extra mile while I'm in there -- I'll go for it. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:22 PM
3rd Gear

** Replacing the cam plug on mine -passenger side as you said, was actually easy in my case because I had both heads pulled out.
-
Name:  056-CamPlug.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  49.5 KB
-
What you can do - since you have the covers off anyway- is to loosen up the two nuts on that last cam bearing, and try to tap the bearing gently upward on both sides with a rubber mallet to loosen it up, and then you should be able to pick the plug easily. Replace with the new one (coat it with a thin film of fresh oil), and torque back the bearing nuts to 15 ft lb.
If you are affraid to do so, then you probably have the following three options:
a) use a couple of metal sheet screws, drill them carefully on opposite sides, and then try to pull it out via the two screws
b) could use a very sharp pick tool and try it that way.
c) could use two needle-nose pliers and try to pull it out via two of the raised grooves you see on the plug's exposed side.
Some people claim that they're able to extract the plug without even removing the valve cover - 5/10 min job. I neither can confirm, nor infirm a such claim.

** As far as the driver side, the Hall (camshaft) sensor comes off by removing the two (10 M?) bolts.
You'll have to remove also its mounting bracket to get to the rear seal.
-
Name:  Bank2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  43.5 KB
-
It's definitely a shade tree mechanic job without any sweat.
Good luck.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Late comer to this thread. Just thought I'd add this little tidbit about the breather hoses.
After seeing the replacement on audidiy.com, just wanted to say that the breather hoses are cake to replace. Mine were shot....totally brittle. In contrast to the audidiy author, I bought 5/8in (15.88mm) hoses, cuz that's all they had. They actually fit PERFECTLY. I recommend this size, not the 3/4in ones.