Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:23 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: VW Instrument Cluster

i like most of the red lights, but i'm glad that the dash and gauges arent' all red. i'm not sure about all the a6s, but mine has iridecent white and red gauges. i know that's the one thing i really hated about my cousins a4 was that the gauges and the needles were all red. made it a pain in the *** to try and read the gauges by glancing quickly, because you had to actually try and find the damn needles since there were the exact same color as everything else.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:29 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: katcoota

ORIGINAL: Nocturnal_A62.7

NH_USA, no... he wasn't sitting on my lap.
lol
ME too LOL[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 01-20-2008, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

So I take it the bulb itself is white then, and the overlay itself is colored? Can you actually get to the overlay, or is that sealed up within the instrument cluster?

Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

I love it red... Its pretty classy (Compared to my elantra's yellow [&:])

Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

I like the red in my Audi more than I like the orange in my Infiniti.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

i guess to answer the original post....

no you cant change it. were stuck with red whether you like it or not.... unless you buy a newer one.

just out of curiosity... to those who say red provides a better light at night, is there a scientific fact?

and anyways, shouldnt we keep our eyes on the road?

Old 01-21-2008, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

There are studies that point to Red as being better for night vision than white light. It has something to do with where Red falls along the color spectrum - being more towards the lower end. The milkitary has done some research into the idea and came up with, according to the light sources then available, that red would offer the best mix of visibility, low light levels, ability to adjust your eyes to the dark, and limited spread. Of course, this was a while ago. More recent studies are now starting to say green is the best color. Apparently it is easier for our eyes to pick up blue-green than red-orange.

Ultimately, however, it is not so much about the color itself as the contrast. Contrast is what makes something easier to see, but also what makes it more difficult for our eyes to adjust. Personally I don't really get that excited about which is supposedly better - as you pointed out you are supposed to be watching the road more than your instrument panel. Having driven many cars with different color dash lights, I can say, however, I am no big fan of the red look. The VW Blue looks really neat, although I don't find it as easy on my eyes as the green in the Saabs.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM
3rd Gear

What a strange conversation, instrument colors and sexual innuendoes. I personally like my A6 with the white/red combo. My Saabs were green but kind of washed out looking, that goes for our BMW as well. It is redorange but seems washed out. I have seen older A6's 99- that use all red and they seem washed out as well. A co-worker has a new Camry, it uses insanely bright white leds to light the dash. It is hard to see outside. The next time you see a newer Camry/Accord while driving at night, pull up next to them and notice how their entire 50 year old face is glowing white. I love the look of the VW blue, but find it almost impossible to focus on. To me it seems like there is a blue haze around everything making it hard to focus.( I do wear contacts) I know someone somewhere changed their Passat to red I believe. I personally would never not buy a car based on the color of its instrument cluster, but it if bothers you, look elsewhere.