Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

washing engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 AM
1st Gear
Default washing engine bay

I'm planning to clean my C5 2.8L engine bay to help track down oil leaks. The whole block, especially cam covers, and most hoses etc. are covered in oil residue from years of leaks. I replaced the breather hose (very badly clogged at the lower section), and now I want to clean it all up so I can see if it still leaks, and where.

Is it ok to use a low power hose on the engine? I have a portable 12V "power" washer that has about the power of a garden hose, maybe a little less. I was going to just blast engine degreaser everywhere and then hose away. Do I need to cover up electrical connectors first?

Old 10-28-2011, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

i wouldnt if i were you.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

I've got a 2000 Audi A6 and was contemplating the very same thing for the very same reason.

My approach is going to be slow and methodical. I've just done some major repairs and among them were power steering pump leak, coolant leak, and oil leak related problems.

After replacing the entire cooling system: new radiator, timing belt job (rollers tensioner, belt, water pump, thermostat) the coolant leak and over boil are gone. The power steering will be solved by a hose clamp. The oil has been substantially reduced after proper torque was applied to the rear oil pan bolts while the sway bar was off (while I replaced the strut and cv axle). Found that my driver side sway bar link was disconnected (wondered why it felt like the car was floating).

With blown cv axle, strut, and leaking pan there is quite a bit of oil and grease. I'm going to use a bunch of paper towels and keep the degreaser to a minimum.

I've had the entire front end off my A6 and one thing I can tell you is that these cars are well built, but if you douse it with water you are asking for problems with sensors for temps on coolant and oil causing problems with the system. I've just repaired so many problems that I don't want any more!!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM
1st Gear
Old 10-31-2011, 12:53 AM

oil leaks. i live with them. my trusty lil Subaru leaks oil and so does my A6. cheap way to go just monitor oil level and add oil as needed. thats what im doin to both my Subaru and Audi until i get the money to fix both

Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 AM
1st Gear

Spraying water under the hood just sounds like bad news to me. If it were me, I would not do it.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Well I did a little cleaning under there and it was fine. From researching this on the net, a lot of people hose their engine bays with no trouble. I sprayed WD40 onto everything electrical, then sprayed degreaser, then waited 5-10 minutes and started spraying. I didn't do a very thorough job because it was too difficult to clean some areas without the risk of damaging the breather hose (nothing to do with water, they're just brittle). I have more important jobs to do (timing belt etc.) and I'm just going to go ahead and replace every seal that typically leaks anyway. But after all that's done I'm definitely going to hose clean that f*&ker.