Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water logged A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Water logged A6

2002 Doors won't open or unlock, windows don't work. Interior lights and hazard lights have a mind of their own.

I think it's the Central Convenience Control module. Anything else I should look at?

No problems until this- now I can't open any of the doors except the driver door with a key. Rather incovenient.

Will replacing the CCCM fi it? Any other suggestions are welcome. I don't want to damage the door trying to get it open if the door is not the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The guys I took it to spent 2 hours trying to get the door open. The only thing they figured out was the water was coming in a leaking pollen filter, whose box was damaged. One of them said there is a module under the passenger feet and under the passenger chair. I was reading elsewhere that it could be under the driver's side. I'm in New Zealand so maybe that changes things. All the water was on the passenger side. I didn't even know I had a problem until the lights started doing funny things and I couldn't open the rear door. Cheers

Old 07-19-2011, 10:52 AM
1st Gear
Smile Any ideas how to get passenger door open?

I did some more checking and it must be the "central LOCKING module" and the name changed, and it is located under the feet of the passenger floor, on an angle. I feel a depression around that area. Is that where the module sits? Or is it under the seat?

Regardless, any ideas on how to get the passenger door open are most welcome. I could use an axe, but it would be rather messy.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

The locking module is under the carpert in front of the drivers seat the trans control module is under the carpet in front of the passengers seat. the water can be getting in through a number of places the usual culprit is the drain located under the battery but the sunroof drains can cause this issue also. The modules are encased in a black plastic box so be sure to open them both up and see that any water is removed from them. also disconnect your battery asap as power going to the modules while they have water in them speeds up their demise sometimes you can dry these modules out and get them working again but again time is of the essence.

I am not going to type it all out again but I have made numerous posts here about how to resolve all of the issues you are having so do a search of my posts and you will find most everything you need to know or do.

In short just replacing the module most likely will not solve all of your issues there are butt splices located inside of the wiring harness that runs along the door sills and under the front seats you need to open up the harness and find these as they will retain water inside of the rubber insulating caps and the fine gauge wires will corrode and cause you endless troubles unless they are taken care of. Again do a search of my posts and you should find all you need to know.

Last edited by padog; 07-19-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

While you're looking for the source of your leak (and most likely, leaks) I highly recommend you pull up all your carpets. Chances are you're going to find a sizable amount of moisture throughout the vehicle. There are multiple points of entry for water in the A6 so much so that Audi settled a class-action lawsuit because of the severity and frequency of the issue.

It can and will create a multitude of problems for your vehicle if not taken care of properly and I speak from personal experience. Good luck !

Old 07-20-2011, 03:58 AM
1st Gear

I can't get the door open to take it out is the problem. The module appears to be on the same side for all audi's, only the driver's side seat changes depending on what country you are in. In the US it's the driver side, here in NZ, it's the passenger side. My problem is that I can't get the passenger door open to get at the module!

Any ideas? Maybe I should make this a separate thread post. I'm thinking that the anti-theft function was activated that bolted the doors shut, and the only way to deactivate it is a working module- which needs replacing. Any ideas?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

My 2004 A6 flooded twice on me. The transmission module is under passenger seat. It was filled with water. I did not replace, just removed blew it dry and gat some electronic water displacement spray. Reinstalled and about 40,000 miles later all is still fine. Check the drain under battery for clog. Good luck don't panic

Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Good idea- now to get the module out- locked door

I'll check into that spray- sounds like a good idea. Do you think it will work on the wire harness as well? I was reading that this gets shorted as well.

I'm guessing the anti-theft is activated, and that was the last thing the central module did before it died- so now the doors are bolted shut. I can't even open them. Does anyone know how to get the passenger and rear doors unlocked?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

The trans ecm on my 2004 A6 sits in a well under passenger seat. It is inside a black plastic box. The well and the box were covered to the top with water. I moved the seat back pulled back carpet, removed the ecm. Used my wet vac sucked up water. I removed ecm blew it out with compressed air and sprayed it with electric component water displacement spray that I got when I worked for the airlines. I also blew out and sprayed the plug to ecm. I installed the ecm left if laying on passenger floor and drove the car for a few days. All was fine but all back and all is still fine. I make it a point to remove battery ever few months and clean drain. This was my experience yours may be diffenent with door lock mod. Does trunk open with key ? Maybe a slim-jim will work don't know

Good Luck

Last edited by cudafish; 07-22-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Slim jim and key

I have never used a slim jim and will have to ask around if anyone has one and if they work on Audi's? That would solve a lot of problems. Just get the door open. If you say you got the CCM out by pulling back the carpet I will try that.

As for the key- stopped working. i guess it lost it's programming. I understand the CCM handles that too! Dead.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM
1st Gear
Red face Got the CCM out

It was caked in mud and water sloshing around in the box. This thing is TOAST. Now about finding a replacement. I'm having a hard time finding a match. Everything ends in "J" Mine ends in "L" Any ideas? I don't mind giving up features. I just want my doors to unlock and the windows to work!

4B0962258L is the number

Quick Reply: Water logged A6