Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water logged A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cudafish
The trans ecm on my 2004 A6 sits in a well under passenger seat. It is inside a black plastic box. The well and the box were covered to the top with water. I moved the seat back pulled back carpet, removed the ecm. Used my wet vac sucked up water. I removed ecm blew it out with compressed air and sprayed it with electric component water displacement spray that I got when I worked for the airlines. I also blew out and sprayed the plug to ecm. I installed the ecm left if laying on passenger floor and drove the car for a few days. All was fine but all back and all is still fine. I make it a point to remove battery ever few months and clean drain. This was my experience yours may be diffenent with door lock mod. Does trunk open with key ? Maybe a slim-jim will work don't know

Good Luck
I ran into the same problem. I left my car for a couple of weeks while on a trip and noticed the carpet was waterlogged. I spent some time vacuuming the water and removing the TCM. I still have it out of the car drying. What's a good product to clean the contacts with, if you know. Also, I noticed the oil pressure red light blinking and the tach doesn't work either. I suspect something wrong with the instrument panel or a module.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:45 AM
1st Gear

For me it was the CCM module. It's underneath the carpet and if it gets waterlogged, unfortunately you will probably have to replace it. You can buy them from a junk yard. The drain around the battery is the known problem, here. There is somewhere else on the forum that talks about it. That is how the water got in, through the dash, from a clogged battery drain, so it might have gotten your tach wet on the way in? I did not have that problem, but the CCM might be related. Might ask around. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by carelm
I ran into the same problem. I left my car for a couple of weeks while on a trip and noticed the carpet was waterlogged. I spent some time vacuuming the water and removing the TCM. I still have it out of the car drying. What's a good product to clean the contacts with, if you know. Also, I noticed the oil pressure red light blinking and the tach doesn't work either. I suspect something wrong with the instrument panel or a module.
The problem is more than likely in the the wiring harness or in the interior control module that is located in about the same position as the tcm only on the driver front floorboard rather than the passenger floorboard. If you do a search of my posts you will find details about what and where to look within the wiring harness's but in a nutshell you need to unwrap the wiring harness that runs to both the icm and the tcm from the firewall all the way around to where they go into the modules and where they run under the carpet under the seats. located in the harness are splices with a rubber boot over them they are very small and you must seperate the wires to find them. the rubber boot holds water inside of them causing them to corrode and fall apart. this will cause all types of problems. there are two or three located in the harness along each door sill area and a couple more under the drivers seat area and under the passenger seat area.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by padog
The problem is more than likely in the the wiring harness or in the interior control module that is located in about the same position as the tcm only on the driver front floorboard rather than the passenger floorboard. If you do a search of my posts you will find details about what and where to look within the wiring harness's but in a nutshell you need to unwrap the wiring harness that runs to both the icm and the tcm from the firewall all the way around to where they go into the modules and where they run under the carpet under the seats. located in the harness are splices with a rubber boot over them they are very small and you must seperate the wires to find them. the rubber boot holds water inside of them causing them to corrode and fall apart. this will cause all types of problems. there are two or three located in the harness along each door sill area and a couple more under the drivers seat area and under the passenger seat area.
Thanks, I'm tempted to use a box cutter to cut the carpet sections out so I'm constantly wrestling with them.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

Unbelievable! After getting the TCM and CCM dried out as well as both footwells, I hooked everything back up, cleared the P0600 codes and fired the car back up. Everything works! Did a test run and the car ran normally. Granted, it's a little ratty right now, but functually it's fine and I didn't have to shell out any money other than for some tin snips and box cutters. My wife thinks I'm a genius now that I fixed the car instead of shelling out $$$ to a dealer.