Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A weekend of detailing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 PM
3rd Gear
Default A weekend of detailing...

We finally had a nice weekend so between a few lawn chores, I detailed the A6. First, I tried some TurtleWax Liquid Clay Bar. I had read some posts about using a clay bar to remove oxidation and swirls, but you have to be real careful. I thought this stuff might be safer even though it was kinda expensive ($14). It did ok - the finish is definitely smoother but it did not remove swirls or some very light surface scratches. I guess my verdict is - save your money - buy a good rubbing compound and use it with plenty of water.

But the car sure looks good anyway with two coats of Meguiars wax, all the vinyl Armor-alled, and the seats treated with leather conditioner. And the RS4 rims are on for the summer- also waxed and polished.

I'm all ready for my little trip to Minnesota this coming weekend. Hope it doesn't rain and ruin the shine.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A weekend of detailing...

my wheels get insanely dusty after abotu 10 minutes of driving? normal?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Mine isBlue...It gets dirty in 1 day and I feel like all those hours were just wasted. I hate it...

Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: joetm

my wheels get insanely dusty after abotu 10 minutes of driving? normal?
new brake pads? Might be alot of brake dust?

Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 AM
2nd Gear

yea new pads but a lil ridic ... u just bought the brembos for close to three grand... i hope they are good ... the drilled rotors let the dust escape through tthe back of the wheel which doesnt leave the face of this silver rim looking like its really colored gunmetal after ten mins of driving lol

Old 04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
3rd Gear

Dusty OEMbrake pads are common on these German cars. I replaced mine with Centric low dust pads on the advice of my indy shop and there is a lot less to clean up.With a set of summer rims/tires and a separate winter set, I also thoroughly wash and wax the rims, inside and out, before mounting. The dirt washes off easierwith a heavy application of wax.

I'm doing a similar swap on my Chrysler Crossfire which is an SLK320 underneath the skin.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear

wait how do i wax a rim? lol

never heard that but i am def willing to try anything

Old 04-07-2008, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ppgoal

Ihad read some posts about using a clay bar to remove oxidation and swirls, but you have to be real careful. I thought this stuff might be safer even though it was kinda expensive ($14). It did ok - the finish is definitely smoother but it did not remove swirls or some very light surface scratches. I guess my verdict is - save your money - buy a good rubbing compound and use it with plenty of water.

But the car sure looks good anyway with two coats of Meguiars wax, all the vinyl Armor-alled, and the seats treated with leather conditioner.
I don't mean to nitpick, but a clay bar isn't meant to erase swirls or scratches....you still need to buff those out. Clay just removes impurities and contaminants from your paint/clearcoat and prevents those contaminants from causing long term harm. The result is a longer lasting paint job and a smooth finish. It is just part of a larger strategy, so buffing is still necessary if you want the ultimate smooth glossy paintjob.

As to the use of Armor All - I really, really, really advise against it. Armor All tends to build up with time and I have read some things about it actually resulting in UV damage over time to the point of dashes cracking etc. It also tends to be fairly greasy and I have found it actually attacts more dust than it repels in my experience. I also hate anything with a high gloss finish not only because it looks "fake" but because in some cases the glare can be dangerous when driving. I know Armor All makes a low-gloss version as well, but in my experience that stuff just continues to build up and overspray can even fog clear plastics, so you need to be very careful near instrument panels etc.

I recommend 303 protectantor Meguiars interior detailer for plastics and vinyl, and a Meguiars leather conditioner and cleaner for leather seating surfaces. All of these products are more of a satin finish, so they clean and protect while leaving the car look like it did when it rolled off the showroom floor. Plastics and vinyl just shouldn't look glossy - there is a reason that professional detailers and even the reconditioning departments of auto dealers shy away from anything glossy.....it just doesn't look natural when you get into a car.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM
3rd Gear

Good advice on the Armor-all. I may try the Mequiars product - I use their wax. I agree on the gloss, as it can result in reflection on the windshield. Plus on a hot day it releases something that generates a film on the windshield. But is sure does look nice.

Remove the tire from the car. Wash the rim thoroughyl - Meguiars All Wheel in the purple bottle cuts through everything. Let dry and then use any decent wax front and back. If you do this a couple times a year, it is easier to clean the rims the next time.