Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What? New S4 Supercharged and Turbo Charged?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 PM
1st Gear
Default What? New S4 Supercharged and Turbo Charged?

..."3.0T in the model name, possibly indicating a twin-charged system using both a supercharger and a turbocharger...'

Well heres the link... I hope it has a supercharger AND turbocharger, Imagine chipping =)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mates_car_news

Old 04-24-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: What? New S4 Supercharged and Turbo Charged?

there is a lot of mistery behind the motor for the 2010 motor. They (Audi) have beenavoiding the answer to what will be in the car. Buteither way Im sure Audi will fail tolet usdown. With the past bombs they have droped.like theV10 motor in the S8 and S6 the donination should continue_

Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear

Maybe I'm dopey, but I don't see the advantage of both a turbo and a supercharger. While they generate their compression differently (exhaust vs crank), they have the same purpose - to compress and ram fuel/air into the engine under pressure. You don't need two devices to do that. It is needlessly complex. And you can only cram so much fuel/air into an engine before you blow seals or worse. And a either a turbo or a s/c with high enough psi can do that - you don't need both.

Since they have had great success with the turbo technology I suspect that will be the approach. Especially with BMW adapting twin turbos for their 335i.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

turbo and supercharger (blower) is not new technology.

Detroit Diesel corp (now MTU) had been producing 12 cylinder (12-71s) marine diesel engines with 2 blowers and 2 turbos 30 years ago.
The turbo requires increased RPMs for increased exhaust flow, which in turn generates increased intake air boost, but only at higher RPMs.

the blowers, which are gear driven,addairat a much lower RPM, and add to low end torque/power etc, and help the engine increase RPMs FASTER up to where the turbos kick in....and the rest is history. All of this of course generates extra heat, and requires additional cooling capacity...

I still think it would be awesome to see what Audi can dream up with that though!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

^^^what he said. supercharger would be used for low-end power and to eliminate turbo lag. i'm sure they want to fit a larger turbo for more pwoer at the top end, and to eliminate lag they'll put a supercharger on to kill the lag