Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this thing atop my engine, why is it clopping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:34 PM
1st Gear
Default What is this thing atop my engine, why is it clopping?

I have a 2002 Audi A6 2.8L Avant. Tonight I turned it on and heard a fast-paced sound coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. Opening the hood, I discovered a little device making a sound that can be best described as the sound a wooden-wheeled cart would make when pushed down a brick road at about 5 MPH (A.K.A. "clopping"). It has a hose flowing in and a hose flowing out as well as an electrical connection. I don't know what this device is and I hope it has something to do with the engine codes (P1423 and P1411) that came on a little while back. I'd like to replace this part, but don't know whether to order a Whatcha-ma-call-it or a Thing-a-ma-bob...

Note the small item circled in the lower-left-hand corner:

Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 AM
1st Gear

EVAP Purge Valve (N80)

I'm not sure how to diagnose if it's working correctly or not, but atleast you know what to search for.

Here's a post from one of the VW forums

As its been said that's the N80 valve. The gas tank and lines are all air tight so has vapors don't constantly vent to the atmosphere. But if it stayed air tight the tank would collapse on it self from vacuum forming in the tank. So basically the car pumps in outside air into the gas tank and slightly pressurized it, the evap lines run from the tank to that valve in the video and into te intake manifold. That ticking is the valve opening and closing to slowly let the engine suck the air and gas vapor from the tank into the engine to get burnt up. That valve only opens at idle and it always clicks on and off, since it's a solinoid the click is loud.

Your car is working how it's suppossed to.
Tick Tick Tick - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com