Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will chipping void the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:19 AM
1st Gear
Default Will chipping void the warranty?

Will chipping my 2.7t void a third party warranty?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:15 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Will chipping void the warranty?

Generally speaking yes. You need to read your particular warranty for the correct answer on your warranty.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear

Not sure about other vendors, but the APR chip won't be detected by an Audi dealer unless they are really looking for it.
You can reset it to "stock" before taking it in...

Old 04-13-2008, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

I don't know how to reset it to stock and what not

help?

Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear

What chip do you have?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:16 PM

You will know how to reset to stock if you already got it... I dont think he has a chip yet... Get an apr chip for 600 and then bjuy the stock program for another 170 or so. Its very undetectable.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

what will a 600 dollar apr chip do in terms of performance?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

It will take your car from 250 hp/~250lbs TQ to 318hp/382lbs TQ on APR 93 Octane program, probably 300 hp on 91 oct, not sure on this one. They have different programs and options which you can switch b/w by using your cruise control buttons in seconds.

HOWEVER, switching to stock DOES NOT make the chip undetectable to a dealer. Sure they won't know by driving it that you have an extra 70 hp and loads of extra torque, but they can read the logs. As a matter of fact, unless you have the APR lock/code function, they can even override maliciously or not depending on what they are doing to the car. It is true that it helps switching to stock mode when going to the dealer for repairs or maintenance.
Now back to your original questions, it has been asked and posted many times on Audiworld, Audizine and probably Audiforums, so you could start by searching the forums to see others' experiences/answers. I will give you my opinion and share my experience.
1- I have gone to the dealership for service (while under FACTORY warranty and free service period, otherwise I avoid dealership like the plague after I installed the chip and they never asked questions nor denied service. Obvisouly i was not there for problems potentially related to extra power or other mods I have. They can take a good look at my car and clearly see it is not stock.... drop, wheels, tint, GMP stickers, SAMCO hoses and aftermarket DVs.. The manager and service guy even came out together to ask me about my car and told me how great it looked.
2- Obviously some dealership are more mod friendly than others so ask around from other audi owners in your area or even your local tuning shop. Mine for example know the local audi guys and can recommend hwo to talk to... heck they even do mods fornew cars customers want modded right away, and Audi subcontract the work to my shop. Also some VW dealers will even cover the chip under factory warranty when they are the one gettig the chipping done... So know your dealer...
3- You don'thave to use a dealer. Some indy shop will be friendlier and will close their eyes on the mods when dealing with the warranty... as long as the warranty doesn't send an appraiser or expert to confirm repairs I guess.
4- I would say it depends on your warranty
5- I now have a third party warranty company I purchased 1 1/2 to 2 years ago and have done repairs at the 2 Indy shops (one of them does my mods) with many mods on my car including chip. Never had an issue.
6- It will depend on the damage. If you blow Turbos and it'll cost several $1000's to fix it, chances are the warranty co will ask details, send someone and will find out that you had extra power on the car and they would say that it is due to the extra HP/chip, therefore not covering the repair (IMO). But if you got a suspension issue, a window regulator, a wheel bearing problem... then my guess they won't care and most likely won't even look if you are chipped.

Hope this helps but there is no easy answer. Some warranty docs wilo state that mods will void it but the law has a close that says that it must be proven that the two are unrelated.... If I remember corectly though, I beleive the burden of proof is placed on you...

Brice