Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind noise from driver window

Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 PM
1st Gear
Default wind noise from driver window

Ok, just got the car, it’s a 2004 A6 s-line 2.7t has 33xxxx on it, so what is up with this wind noise? Is this just how Audis are? I mean it sounds like my window is down a littlebit, but its not and it seems to be only on the driver side window, i check it out to make sure it was up and it was. Seems to get louder and abit more obvious when I increase speed, any help here would be great. Thanks,

Old 05-02-2007, 10:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: wind noise from driver window

I have a 2004 a6 3.0. i have noticed the same out of my passenger side door. Not loud but noticable enough , where at first i would try and role up the window thinking its cracked a little. Who knows. Audi's are great cars but can be werid

Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear

have you checked the seal in the window... like where it goes up. I'm not trying to be a jerk... but maybe it looks like its up, but really isn't actually all the way up in the seal

Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

It is all the way up from what i can tell, i even triedpushing it up to see if it could go up more but with no success. Not sure whythis happens and I have seen the website with the permanent fix using a plastic tube, but that was for an A4 window, does this work on any model? It only seems to happened on the driver side window….sounds like the window is open..thanks

Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Site Moderator

Remove the door panel and check for the foam insert that goes behind the front mirror, techs sometimes forget to put that foam piece back in when they do window clips or something and it will cause the noise you are complaining of. To remove the door panel you remove the two phillips screws at the top of each end of the panel then lift it straight up.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:29 AM
1st Gear

Sweet!
Thank You, is there a DIY on this somewhere or a How-to on taking off the door panel? Are you talking about the triangle piece right by the mirror is where that foam piece is? Sorry, not to technical on cars and any other help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:19 PM
4th Gear

I have seen a DIY to fix this noisebut I donthave alink.

What this DIY said to do is get clear tubing like air hose for fish tanks.
Cut down the tube straight down 1 side.
Roll down the window and press this tube onto the plastic mirror housing. (right on the edge where it meets the window)
This is not noticeable because its clear and does not affect the window operation.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

ok, i will try that, from what the tech says its some foam peice insert....thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah its behind the plastic triangle piece.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

ok, so if the foam piece is not there then get a tech to insert one at the dealer? the sound almost sounds like it comes from the TOP of the window and not in that location you describe, unless it does but just sounds like it comes from the top, hey thanks for your help!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wind noise from driver window