Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washers not working.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Windshield washers not working.

Hey guys, So my sprayers are not shooting anything out. Wipers are working, fluid tank is FULL, all fuses are good and the headlight sprayers ARE working. With the headlights off (so they don't spray) I don't hear any type of pump when I use the washer lever. Are there two separate pumps for the headlight washers and the windshield washers and where are they located?

Any ideas/comments are greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear

I had trouble with the "plastic" feeding line going into the washers, as it ages and becomes brittle. I was losing the fluid and nothing was coming into the washers.
The lucky thing was that the broken section was in the relay box area, so I was able to see it. The line is mounted via a plastic clamp on the hood, so getting bent (every time when the hood was closed) over time caused the brittle plastic to crack. I replaced quite a long section of the line with rubber hose (vaccum hose works excellent).

In your case, if you don't lose any fluid and you don't hear the pump... IRC, the pump is located directly on the bottom of the washer tank, or on the fender. It sounds like bad pump or bad connector.

Last edited by chefro; 11-21-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Thanks chefro,

I just checked the hose and it isn't brittle at all...I can blow on it and air is coming through just fine. I pulled out the whole washer fluid tank and disconnected everything but the windshield washed motor/pump. The pump clicks really softly when I hit the lever but no air comes out of the spout and the pump makes no other noise accept for the clicks.

So I'm guessing the pump is bad. Do you know how to take the pump out of the tank? I'm afraid I'm going to break it. Also does anyone know a good place to purchase a pump at a decent price?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:23 AM
2nd Gear

To remove the pump, just pull. Be sure to get a new seal when you replace the pump. In fact, while you have the reservoir out, replace all the seals.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 AM
3rd Gear

...'tis good timing to check also on your power steering hoses, at the reservoir.
I would trust any place like Blaufergnugen, Ariz Autohaus, Force5Auto (used ones though), Shokan (used ones), AutopartsWarehouse.com, GermanPartsOnline, FCPGroton, RockAuto, PartsGeek.com, etc, etc.

good luck