Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wipers, headlights, heat, doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Default wipers, headlights, heat, doesn't work

I have a 99 a6 andI went to leave work and the headlights, wipers, turn signals, and heat didnt work. I got it home and checked online and it seemed like a relay was the problem. I pulled the 2nd relay from the left under the steering wheel but it looked fine. I then "completed" the circuit witha paper clip to see if that was the problem and everything worked fine accept for the headlights. I went to the dealership and got a new relay (different number but I figured it was just the newest model part) I plugged in the new relay and nothing works again, but they all work accept for the headlights when i use the paperclip trick. I also read about the ignition switch causing similiar problems but my car starts and runs fine so, I didnt think that was the culprit. If any one could give me some suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:34 AM
Default RE: wipers, headlights, heat, doesn't work

Your ignition switch is broken. Try moving the key back after you start the engine just until you feel a little click, but not far enough to turn the engine off. This should work, I have the same exact problem in a 98 a6.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Default RE: wipers, headlights, heat, doesn't work

Houndz, your reply made me take another look at my car. I couldnt do what you were talking about with the key in the ignition. However, it made me re-think my problem. I have remote start on my car but I dont think that has anything to do with it as it has worked fine for months. But then I realized I can bypass the ignition switch by using the remote start and sure enough everything worked...until i put the key in, turn it on all the way, and push the brake pedal which makes the car run off of the ignition swith instead of the remote starter. This makes me believe that you are correct with the ignition switch even though the car starts fine. Since I cant jiggle the key around to get it to work, i think I am going to replace the ignition switch. I havent searched for a how to yet, but if anybody knows where a good how to is, I would appreciate it. Thank you again for the guidance Houndz.