Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You're a fool if you don't gap your plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
RGT
1st Gear

I believe on Platinum plugs and perhaps some other coated plugs you are not supposed to gap them as you crack the coating which will lead to very short plug life

Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

prf6q are 2 prong, 1 is the electrode, the other is the ground (it has a little piece of platinum sticking down, almost hard to see) just make sure the gap is .315 if you are stock, and closer to .28 if you are chipped.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

Sorry about that. I've corrected my post. You are using the correct NGK PFR6Q Laser Platinum

Laser Series” Platinum center electrode, and Platinum pad ground electrode"

This is the "Original Equipment Manufacturer, and/or Original Equipment Service Part"

Originally Posted by badinstincts
prf6q are 2 prong, 1 is the electrode, the other is the ground....
I'm surprised that this plug has 2-prong? The NGK catalog PN decoder descibes Q= 4-ground electrode

Be that as it may the 2 are both ground electodes. Electrical current travels the least resistance from one path to another. So, it fires from 1-ground electrode for 1 firing and the next for another firing and so on.

Last edited by //S POWER; 03-24-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RGT
I believe on Platinum plugs and perhaps some other coated plugs you are not supposed to gap them as you crack the coating which will lead to very short plug life
just be careful when you gap them, obviously don't try to pry them by putting the gap tool against the platinum prong. use the corners only. take your time in gapping them exactly right... i watched a tv show while doing it and took my time.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by //S POWER
Sorry about that. I've corrected my post. You are using the correct NGK PFR6Q Laser Platinum

Laser Series” Platinum center electrode, and Platinum pad ground electrode"

This is the "Original Equipment Manufacturer, and/or Original Equipment Service Part"

I'm surprised that this plug has 2-prong? The NGK catalog PN decoder descibes Q= 4-ground electrode

Be that as it may the 2 are both ground electodes. Electrical current travels the least resistance from one path to another. So, it fires from 1-ground electrode for 1 firing and the next for another firing and so on.
I dont know how its a 4 ground electode, there are 2 prongs, thats all... one is the electrode tip, and 1 is the small tiny ground tip on the little tab that makes a L shape...

Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

my plugs have 2 grounds that come up to the side of the center electrode, not over the top of it. i still gapped them lol, but i didnt use the correct OEM plugs so i feel like it hesitates quite a bit but that could be other things, ive always gapped my plugs so i cant say a difference.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

If you have multi ground electrodes like on the Bosch OEM plugs then you don't gap them.
You only gap plugs that have the single electrode which reaches out over the central tip of the plug.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

I've never seen multi prong spark plugs. I didn't know they existed and dont think they are better in any way...

Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

Search Bosch x2 or x4 spark plugs to see what they look like.
Other companies also do multi electrode plugs too.

Last edited by Brityank; 03-25-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

yea, i saw the pictures of them right before I made my last post...

Quick Reply: You're a fool if you don't gap your plugs!