Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You're a fool if you don't gap your plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM
3rd Gear

Multiprong plugs won't work any better, but they will has longer.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

I think they would work a little worse since the extra prongs are blocking the explosions... But lasting longer, maybe... I wouldn't use them.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by badinstincts
I think they would work a little worse since the extra prongs are blocking the explosions... But lasting longer, maybe... I wouldn't use them.
Contrary to the old four-stroke "Suck-Squeeze-Bang-Blow" adage, there should't be any "explosions" (i.e. the "Bang" stroke) inside your engine; if there are then there is something seriously wrong with your engine. What should be happening is "Inhale-Squeeze-Spark/Woosh-Blow"; not as catchy but certainly more accurate.

The difference between "Suck" and "Inhale" is purely semantics in this case, however, the burning of the air/fuel mixture should be like a rapidly advancing wave of flame and not a "Bang". To that end, the difference between spark plugs with one electrode, or two, or three, or four, or even more is virtually immeasurable. Why? A flame front is a flame front is a flame front; you get it started and step back, it takes care of itself from there through the exhaustion of the mixture.

Last edited by shipo; 03-27-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shipo
Contrary to the old four-stroke "Suck-Squeeze-Bang-Blow" adage, there should't be any "explosions" (i.e. the "Bang" stroke) inside your engine; if there are then there is something seriously wrong with your engine. What should be happening is "Inhale-Squeeze-Spark/Woosh-Blow"; not as catchy but certainly more accurate.

The difference between "Suck" and "Inhale" is purely semantics in this case, however, the buring of the air/fuel mixture should be like a rapidly advancing wave of flame and not a "Bang". To that end, the difference between spark plugs with one electrode, or two, or three, or four, or even more is virtually immesurable. Why? A flame front is a flame front is a flame front; you get it started and step back, it takes care of itself from there through the exhaustion of the mixture.
EXACTLY, but i guess more prongs is supposed to ensure that all the fuel is burned and you get a more consistant spark each ignition, which imo is bogus. i got a better response in past vehicles when using say iridium over platinum vs, 2 prongs over 1.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

would this spark plug be good?
NGK.com - Application Search Results

gap is .031 ..

will this be good for my 2004 audi a4 1.8t fwd 4cyl?