Audi A7 Athletic, elegant and dramatic, the Audi A7 is a five-door coupe with the graceful look of a benchmark luxury sedan.

A7 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

I was repeatedly told by the dealer that any of the problems my car had were the first such problems in the whole world, I say B.S.

After putting up for a year of constant problems and repeated trips to the dealer, I got rid of the A7. I really wanted to get the R8 but after this expericence lost faith in Audi and I placed an order for the 991 Turbo.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Trochlea
I was repeatedly told by the dealer that any of the problems my car had were the first such problems in the whole world, I say B.S.

After putting up for a year of constant problems and repeated trips to the dealer, I got rid of the A7. I really wanted to get the R8 but after this expericence lost faith in Audi and I placed an order for the 991 Turbo.
I note that most of the A7 problems seems to be USA based (I think). Here in the UK we don't appear to be having such poor quality issues. Begs the question - Are the USA versions imported or assembled. If assembled - where is this done and if not Germany then where - and is there perhaps an issue at that point?
Also a good few of the Dealers involved with these problem cars seem to be loathe to sort things out - unlike my experience so far here in Scotland -my Audi Dealer could not be more helpful.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

It's been about 8 months now with my A7 and for the most part, it's been an excellent experience. I can relate to the heating/cooling fans being a little loud at times - it seems to be a mission to get the car to the desired temperature in the least amount of time. Perhaps a less aggressive setting could be designed?

My most recent quirk was for the audio system to become a stuttering mess. Essentially the audio (no matter the source) was cutting out every other second. This didn't clear up after a full restart. After a sleep overnight, it did come back to normal. Not sure what this is - neither does my dealer. I'm hoping it doesn't come back.

I'm extremely happy with my A7 overall though. The drive is excellent - smokes my 5-Series.

In the end, you always take a chance with a first model year - my experience has been better than I expected so far.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

I've had some problems regarding a small vibration that starts when I start moving at low speeds. I'm not sure if that is because of mine 19 inch wheels or is it because of the tires. I have done some drifts with the car on rough roads. I'm not sure if that is what is causing the small flies buzzing sound inside thw car.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

(New car - under 1500 miles to date) - Not had any buzzing, though I do have a resonance sound (roar like) that appears to emanate from the right side of the car. Starts about 15mph and loudest at between 30 and 40mph. Only when moving. At standstill rev the engine - nothing. So appears speed related and appears to be somewhere around the wheel arch, but difficult to tell!
Also appears to be separate from the tyre/road/noise (I have 19" and multi-spoke alloys).
Tried all 4 different wheel/tyre combination (18" and different tyres) - no change at all, same resonance sound.
Dealer thinks it could be a bad wheel bearing - so it goes in next week to have the front right one changed.

I'm not convinced - any clues?

Update -
into Dealer and wheel bearing changed - no difference at all and the original bearing was fine. All other bearings checked OK. Still have the resonance which appears to be at the front of the car - amazingly it starts at low speed and audible at 5 mph up to around 40mph when it still can be heard. Most annoying I suppose at around 20mph - 35mph.
With car moving in neutral the noise still there so not engine or transmission and has to be tyre/wheel/arch related. Tried different size wheels and different tyres - no change!
I just wonder if there are any acoustic pads fitted under the wheel arch liners and indeed should there be?

Last edited by borodin; 05-06-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:35 AM
HRH
1st Gear

Get a "Lemon" lawyer and get it lemoned. Get your money back and buy something else.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Maccari
I got my Audi A7 in late December 2012 and immediately noticed a problem with steering. When turning the steering wheel there was some kind of notch, which was extremely annoying when you constantly needed to go over the notch turning from left to right and right to left. Several visits to audi service and finally they ordered a spare part (basically almost everything between the front wheels) from the factory and installed it. I was told this was the 1st such a problem in the whole world...
Another major problem was the gearbox malfunction. There was the alarm (yellow) indicating of the problem and saying that you can continue driving with limited functionality. Well, yes it was limited as some of the gears were lost. Again back to audi service where the car is still waiting for another spare part from Germany. Again, I was told this was the 1st such a problem in the whole world...
I would be curious to if anyone has experienced these problems too?

Hi Maccari,

Greetings from Asia, I bought the A7 last year in June 2011 and problems are only starting to surface now..

I too have the gearbox malfunction issue as you, just came on this week and my mileage is about 25,000 Km.. Am bringing the car in on Monday morning to access the problem.

Did you settle yours yet?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by borodin
(New car - under 1500 miles to date) - Not had any buzzing, though I do have a resonance sound (roar like) that appears to emanate from the right side of the car. Starts about 15mph and loudest at between 30 and 40mph. Only when moving. At standstill rev the engine - nothing. So appears speed related and appears to be somewhere around the wheel arch, but difficult to tell!
Also appears to be separate from the tyre/road/noise (I have 19" and multi-spoke alloys).
Tried all 4 different wheel/tyre combination (18" and different tyres) - no change at all, same resonance sound.
Dealer thinks it could be a bad wheel bearing - so it goes in next week to have the front right one changed.

I'm not convinced - any clues?

Update -
into Dealer and wheel bearing changed - no difference at all and the original bearing was fine. All other bearings checked OK. Still have the resonance which appears to be at the front of the car - amazingly it starts at low speed and audible at 5 mph up to around 40mph when it still can be heard. Most annoying I suppose at around 20mph - 35mph.
With car moving in neutral the noise still there so not engine or transmission and has to be tyre/wheel/arch related. Tried different size wheels and different tyres - no change!
I just wonder if there are any acoustic pads fitted under the wheel arch liners and indeed should there be?
I have the resonance issue too! At first I thought it was normal as the A7 is the first audi I have ever owned, after bringing it to my mechanic, he says its normal and its due to the brakes? Not sure how there is a link there..

Managed to fix the problems yet?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

Both my problems with the steering and gearbox were fixed with some spareparts ordered from the factory in Germany. Annoying when it happened, but currently very happy with my A7.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Maccari
Both my problems with the steering and gearbox were fixed with some spareparts ordered from the factory in Germany. Annoying when it happened, but currently very happy with my A7.
Good to hear that..
Latest update is that my problems are due to a mechatronic (or Methatronic)
issue, currently waiting for the parts to arrive..

Apparently its a common issue with the a5s, and from what the workshop says, the part needed is a controlled item, hence the delay..

Sigh, fix my car already!!!

Quick Reply: A7 Problems