Audi A7 Athletic, elegant and dramatic, the Audi A7 is a five-door coupe with the graceful look of a benchmark luxury sedan.

HotSpot, Google, etc - can it work in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 PM
1st Gear
Default HotSpot, Google, etc - can it work in Canada?

I'm hoping that some nice folks at Audi Canada see this and look to help out the inaugural A7 owners here in Canada. Sadly, we don't have a mainstream carrier that works with the T-Mobile freq's that the car's communication system is built with. This means that Audi Canada decided to not launch the Wi-Fi hotspot or Google integration here in Canada. Now, don't get me wrong, the A7 is way more than that, but it would be nice to get those features turned on.

What I have determined is that WIND, a carrier here in Ontario (not sure of the rest of Canada) CAN access those frequencies, and will give you 3G! This is great, but it requires that the features be turned on and the system be SIM UNLOCKED.

So, my plea here is two fold...

1) Audi Canada, let us do this!!
2) Is there anyone who has a clue how this could be hacked?

I'd really like to be a BETA tester for this !!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

Yeah this is realy bad how we always get the short end of the stick here in Canada! Check out this article from CTV that incorectly states that Canadian models of the A7 has HotSpot, Google, etc working in Canada.

2012 Audi A7: High tech meets high style | CTV News

I am considering buying an A7 but I would want to have these features or at least the promise of being able to add it in the future. One sales man I spoke to actually told me that they completly removed the hardware necesarry to make this possible from the Canadian models!