Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

04 A8L brake light on

  #1  
Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 PM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11
Default 04 A8L brake light on

Hello i have a 2004 a8L brand new front and rear pads and rotors pats bought from he dealer but the yellow brake light comes on after the vehice is started. Any suggestions?
 
  #2  
Old 08-14-2010, 12:34 AM
auditech79's Avatar
Site Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 9,004
Default

Who installed the front brake pads? Does the light look like an O with lines on either side of it?
 
  #3  
Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 PM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by auditech79 View Post
Who installed the front brake pads? Does the light look like an O with lines on either side of it?
I installed both front and rear at first I hesitated a bit thinking
I might reguire some special tools but no it was pretty straight
forward just like on any other car. And as far as the light goes yes
it's a yellowc (0) the word service and the yellow (0) com on
at the same time the the service goes away and the (0) stays
after that if I press the little key button it displays brake pads or something like that:
 
  #4  
Old 08-14-2010, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 624
Default

Did the new front pads come with a wear sensor on one pad (each side of car) with wires and connector? If so, did you securely hook that up to the connector and wire going to the car? If no sensors and the plug on the car is not "bridged" together, you'll get the "worn out pad" warning (circle w/pads icon).

You can even get a false warning if the new connection is hooked to a corroded or unsecure connector...or even a broken wire on either side.

Don' t know if your year has rear sensors, too...not on earlier models.
 
  #5  
Old 08-14-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by silverd2 View Post
Did the new front pads come with a wear sensor on one pad (each side of car) with wires and connector? If so, did you securely hook that up to the connector and wire going to the car? If no sensors and the plug on the car is not "bridged" together, you'll get the "worn out pad" warning (circle w/pads icon).

You can even get a false warning if the new connection is hooked to a corroded or unsecure connector...or even a broken wire on either side.

Don' t know if your year has rear sensors, too...not on earlier models.
Yes the passenger side has the the sensor seems to be connected well no dust at all. since there are only two wires on the sensor i also tried conecting them together at the connector with a small piece of wire still light came on. Now what im also wondering is this somethng that has to be reset with some kind of software once you do the brakes or should the light go out on its own.
 
  #6  
Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 PM
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 624
Default

Originally Posted by pacino13211 View Post
Yes the passenger side has the the sensor seems to be connected well no dust at all. since there are only two wires on the sensor i also tried conecting them together at the connector with a small piece of wire still light came on. Now what im also wondering is this somethng that has to be reset with some kind of software once you do the brakes or should the light go out on its own.
ONLY the passenger's side brake caliper has a sensor?
There should be one on each of the front calipers, at least. If there's no sensor on the driver's side caliper (pad), then there's an open connection on that side (unless it's bridged)....No plug going to the car on that side? If not, has ANYONE else had access to this in the past? People have been known to bridge these sensor circuits and tuck them away, rather than use sensor equipped pads.
The light should always reset instantly on it's own, when all is connected correctly, good pads or bridged.
 

Last edited by silverd2; 08-14-2010 at 05:35 PM.
  #7  
Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by silverd2 View Post
ONLY the passenger's side brake caliper has a sensor?
There should be one on each of the front calipers, at least. If there's no sensor on the driver's side caliper (pad), then there's an open connection on that side (unless it's bridged)....No plug going to the car on that side? If not, has ANYONE else had access to this in the past? People have been known to bridge these sensor circuits and tuck them away, rather than use sensor equipped pads.
The light should always reset instantly on it's own, when all is connected correctly, good pads or bridged.
Nope ther's no plug on the drivers side only on the passengers side. Im kind of surpreised that noone else had a problem like this and could help me out.
I sure miss my e38 anytime i needed anything all i had to do is go to e38.org and there it would be didnt even had to ask anyone anything pretty much everything was on that site.
 
  #8  
Old 08-14-2010, 08:25 PM
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 624
Default

You are definitely supposed to have one at each caliper.

I just checked with a supplier and a correct front set of pads for an '04 comes with 2 sensor pads...one for each caliper.

Look where the wires lead on the passenger side, then look on the drivers side for the same path. Someone has altered that side and maybe hidden their "bridgework" behind the fender liner, if you can't find at least wires there.
Unlikely outside chance that it got ripped off by running over a stick the wrong way(?)

It's a given, though, that the car comes with plugs on both sides and a correct set of front pads comes with 2 sensor pads...Bentley and the dealer will confirm this.

P.S. I've had the problem with the false warning on my car, but it was just dirty plugs after I put new pads on...so I'm very familiar with the system.
 

Last edited by silverd2; 08-14-2010 at 08:31 PM.
  #9  
Old 08-14-2010, 11:36 PM
auditech79's Avatar
Site Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 9,004
Default

There HAS to be one on either side of the car, if you only have the one wire and connector on the passenger's side of course you're gonna have a warning light. Did it have the light before you replaced the pads? Im gonna go ahead and guess that it fell off and got caught in the wheel or brake disc assembly and ripped out. The rear pads on a D3 will only have a parking brake warning light if those pads were messed up, so it has to be a problem with the front pads.
 
  #10  
Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 PM
auditech79's Avatar
Site Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 9,004
Default

Originally Posted by pacino13211 View Post
Nope ther's no plug on the drivers side only on the passengers side. Im kind of surpreised that noone else had a problem like this and could help me out.
I sure miss my e38 anytime i needed anything all i had to do is go to e38.org and there it would be didnt even had to ask anyone anything pretty much everything was on that site.
Easy there buddy, all the posts you got in reply is getting you help. If you're gonna be a jerk you won't get any help from me, or anyone else for that matter.
You only have 4 posts and haven't helped anyone yourself, so what gives you the right to complain? Buy a 7 series if you feel that way, however when im on a BMW forum i never see ANY help on those boards.
Most folks that purchase high end vehicles (example audi A8) generally just give the dealership thousands of dollars and don't think twice about it.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 A8L brake light on


Advertising
Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.